OK, SERIOUSLY, now, hens!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninjapoodles, Aug 30, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I have eight hens, hatchery Orpingtons and Easter Eggers, who were hatched first of April. They have bright red combs/wattles, perform the behaviors associated with laying, and are even allowing the Orp roo to breed them. But NO EGGS!

By the time they're ready to be bred, shouldn't they already have been laying? Which comes first, generally, the rooster or the eggs? [​IMG]

Also, every time I go to the run, there are enough feathers on the ground to make several more chickens. [​IMG] Is our timing just bad luck, having them reach maturity right at molting season? Is that keeping them from laying?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    They are just coming up on 20 weeks old, that is usually 'about' the age most breeds start laying. It could still be a couple of weeks yet before they lay.

A Rooster will 'do his deed' when he reaches maturity, which can be before the hens start laying be several weeks.

I always find lots of feathers around also, mine aren't molting yet. It's just a chicken thing. My understanding is that chickens don't molt until they are around 15 to 18 months old, at earliest. If I'm wrong on that someone can please correct me.

3. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks for the education--I was under the impression that molting was a seasonal thing. And all of a sudden, everyone seems to be exploding feathers!

4. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Quote:I could prob'ly make another full chicken out of the feathers our 16 drop every week. The flop down off the roosts, and feathers go flying!

5. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I have some hatched 3-10, the 3 SLW started laying a couple of weeks ago, the Welsummer started 3 days ago. They are almost 25 weeks. The silkies, hatched the same time haven't started. I have 3 BLRW hatched 3-20 that haven't started either. I assume it is the heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by