OK seriously whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hcammack, Jan 18, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I just think I lost my Leghorn to a fox! I knew that I was taking a risk leaving them out free ranging but my PVC runs would not have made a difference. gees I cannot get a break with these birds my good luck is over [​IMG] I need help building a run for these birds and I cannot think of a good idea so here is the post where I show my current setup and ask about options. This hens personality sucked but she was a great layer I doubt she is off somewhere she has gone in the coop everyday for a year [​IMG] I just lost two of my young birds to chills also earlier this week this is just terrible I pray I don't lose any more I only ever lost two birds to random dog attack before this now 3 in one week [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=123033

Thanks,
    Henry

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Aw shucks! The fox never takes the dumb bird that always dumps over the feeder, picks tail feathers and lays one egg a week, NEVER! It's always the good ones.... so sorry for your loss.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i'm so sorry! [​IMG]

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Thanks she was not my favorite but was a great layer an egg a day for 10 months staight and then molting and she had just started to lay again [​IMG]

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

First let me say, I am so sorry about your losses. As far as a moveable coop...Hmmm..that would be quite some feat for the size you are wanting. Maybe a large dog kennel..or a few hooked together??

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    is there any way to strengthen the run for them?....do you have any wire and wood around the house?

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm so sorry you've been down on your luck this past week, Henry. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this coming week will be much better for you. [​IMG]

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    A very good deterent to four legged predators and free ranging chickens would be electric mesh poultry fencing.

9. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Thanks these are all great suggestions I think I need to head to Home Depot and Lowes some time this week and get supplies to make a new run or even get large dog kennels.

Opa I have been thinking about electric mesh but would my hens just fly over it I do not have very light breeds but I just wonder about them getting out.

Thanks,
    Henry

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The fencing I have look at is 4' and I don't think flying out would be an issue. I allow my birds to range in a 36x36 fence area and it is 52" and I've never had a bird fly out. If you were still concern you could clip wing feathers. There is a post here that shows how it can be done and you can't tell when the birds wing is folded. When I look at the price of wire fencing and posts and that it must be fixed the cost of the electric mesh fencing is comparable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by