ok so apparently this eye thing is no allergy.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenreyna, Jan 1, 2018.

1. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Saturday afternoon, I noticed my barredrocks eye socket so swollen I thought she lost her eye because i couldn't even see due to fact, it was so swollen shut. Othrt than that her behavior was fine and eating acting normal. I got a warm rag put it over her eye then put some triple ointment over it. which helped because the swelling went down and her eye was visible again..

long story short, I get home today, i realize the Barredrocks other eye is looking swollen and i notice a hen was not eating with the rest of my flock. She has the start of this unknown eye thing all crusted & Glazed over but I brought them both in my garage & away from the rest. They have no appetite. ..(on Saturday, the barred rock was acting normal &eating aside from her eye being so swollen i couldn't see it,) I have been feeding them medicated water through syringe.. No changes in food or anything to cause this. I dont know what to do its obviously contagious and not an allergy..help me. Ideass...

Pictures below the one outside is from Saturday. The other one as i took a picture today, i realized omg her other eye is getting infected.

Attached Files:

MrsMistyReal likes this.
  2. MrsMistyReal

MrsMistyReal Enabler

Aug 6, 2014
    Mississippi
    Ahh poor feathered family members. My advice contact your local vet, just to be safe. :)

chickenreyna likes this.
  3. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    They will tell me to come in and i cant afford such a costly right now:||:-[

MrsMistyReal likes this.
  4. MrsMistyReal

MrsMistyReal Enabler

Aug 6, 2014
    Mississippi
    Local shelters are helpful, some are on billing plans. Maybe just a phone call might be helpful, it don't hurt to try. Hopefully someone here can be more helpful, sorry :hitPlease keep me posted thank you

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Respiratory infection or virus. Respiratory illnesses in the winter are often caused by inadequate ventilation causing ammonia build up that irritates the birds' delicate respiratory systems. If this is the cause, then a broad spectrum antibiotic and better ventilation and more regular cleaning of the coop should resolve the problem quickly. If it's viral, than it will take several weeks for improvement and more birds will likely fall ill.

MrsMistyReal likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be mycoplasma (MG) or coryza, both respiratory diseases. Is there a bad odor, which might point to coryza? Bubbles, foam, and crusty drainage are more possibly MG. You can get Tylan 50 from your feed store, cattle section. Give 0.2 ml per pound (a barred rock hen might get 1.5 ml) 2-3 times a day for 5 days, and give it orally. Terramycin eye ointment applied in a small dot into each eye after cleaning twice a day may help.

Cold weather can be a stress, and can bring out symptoms in a hen who has been exposed earlier. Hopefully, she will recover soon.

MrsMistyReal likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: