OK.. so Christmas came in May.. My new bator is HERE!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Msbear, May 12, 2011.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I've been hatching hundreds of chicks a year in styrafoam bators my husband made me. We recycled big chests like the kind medications come in to TSC. Well, they've been working alright but the pc fan never really circulated the air effectively leaving hot and cold spots and the styrafoam itself would begin to break down and get stained and blah blah blah. It's been a good run but, I was ready for an upgrade. My husband is the kind of guy that says, "why would you buy that when I can make it?" [​IMG] meanwhile.. years go by and you still didn't make it so.. I started hunting and found this guy http://customincubators.com/ I bought the 3 tray cabinet with hatching tray. It does not come with trays but will fit hovabator turners and was less than half the price of a sportsman.

I also upgraded to two fans and two lights. When I opened it, it was so beautiful, I could keep it anywhere but, that's not what's important right? So, I fired it up yesterday and the temps have been holding in EVERY corner of this thing. Those big fans are what does it. It's at 100.4 degrees across the board and hasn't budged a bit. It's so easy to control everything the top hatch in the picture opens and that's where the water wells go. I leave mine slid over just a bit to allow for ventilation. The fans suck down from there so it works perfectly. Rusty only had time to make me one tray last night so, I won't get to fill it til tonight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

top hatch
    [​IMG]
    view of hatching tray... and my little squirts who were very interested
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If anyone else is interested in getting one, the incubator maker is giving a small discount to BYCers. Pm me for more info.

I'll keep y'all posted as to how my hatch goes!

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    My husband made one like this a few years ago. He modeled it after a Sportsman and it did work well. Congrats! I hope it hatches many chicks for you.

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    ok... I've got this thing all filled and have great development.. the one thing is the top tray is a bit warmer than the middle which is a bit warmer than the bottom one. It's just a little bit so, hopefully, it's no big deal. Anyone have any input? I heard someone say they started them on the top then the next week, move them down and so one til they get to the hatching tray with is the lowest temp.

Im not using GQF turners.. just hardware cloth trays.. so ... are the eggs keeping the fans from pushing the heat all the way down? Should I line with foil?
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  4. lanietx

lanietx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    sulphur springs, tx
    so how is the bator working out so far for you?
    have you had time to hatch yet?

i just ordered one yesterday.

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Hey there, my first was a bit rocky but, like any bator, you have to get to know it and have a few hatches out of to be able to utilize it to its fullest potential. I am crankin out some chicks now and loving it! ...so glad to have something reliable and easy to operate and clean [​IMG] Good Luck with yours and keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by