1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ok, so day number one of the incubation will be???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicmom, Nov 14, 2011.

1. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Can Y'all help me figure this out? I will set the bantam cochin eggs tomorrow (that is Tuesday Nov 15th) at 6pm. So day number one of the incubation period is Wednesday, right?

I just want to be positive. (I'm only kind of positive....[​IMG])

Thanks for your help,
    Sharon

2. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Day 1 will be Wed. around 6pm I believe..[​IMG]

3. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:That's what I thought, but I didn't feel 100% sure.

Thank you! That makes lockdown Dec 3, and hatch date Dec 6. Aww, I can take some cute chick pics with the Christmas tree and the grandkids......These are going to be super tame chickens......

Spoiled rotton! BUT, I've gotta remember not to count my chickens before they're hatched! LOL

Sharon

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  4. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Awwwwwwww...
    That will be sweet pics!

Spoiled rotten I"m sure! LOL!
    That is why we decided all our chickens will be hatched by us. We want them from day one to spoil and have sweet pets.

I'm getting silkie eggs today! Can't wait!

Wishing you the best of luck with your hatch!

5. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Aww, I love silkies! Good luck with your hatch too! We will have to be hatching buddies! Will you be setting your eggs tomorrow then?

6. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    If I get the incubator stable, which I"m sure I will! It's a Havobator.. so far so good.

I just shut it down last night from the last hatch and need to get it clean today and plugged back in.

So most likely, I'll set tomorrow and in the evening too, so my son will be home and can help. He likes to help!
    So it looks like we will be hatching buddies.. :)

I'm also getting alot of quail eggs!

7. brijay2

brijay2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    I just cleaned up my incubator and set Serama eggs last night. So today will be day 1. Sounds like we have a hatching group starting:D[​IMG][​IMG]

8. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Yep! We've gotta stick together for support.....My favorite phrase for incubating is "Step AWAAAAAY from that incubator!" [​IMG]

Wow! You are a mother of 8 children? Human children? LOL And I thought four was alot! [​IMG]

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sharon, be positive. At least as positive as you can about incubation. I've yet to have any hatch at 21 days, either under a broody or in an incubator. That 21 days is a target, but you are using a sawed off shotgun, not a sniper's rifle. Close is plenty good enough.

That terminology can get confusing. An egg does not have 24 hours (a days) worth of development 2 seconds or 4 hours after it is set in the incubator. It takes 24 hours for it to have a day's worth of development. To me, it is logical to think of it as Day 1 is the day you put it in the incubator, but that is wrong. Think of it as days of development, so the day you set it in the incubator is Day 0 of developemt.

The way to determine if you are counting it right is that the eggs should hatch on the same day of the week you set them. If you set them on Tuesday November 15, they should hatch on Tuesday December 6. Lockdown should be Saturday, December 3. See, you got it right.

As you probably know, they can hatch a day or two early or late, depending in average incubating temperature, humidity, size of egg, heredity, how they were stored before you started, and who knows what else. That's why I consider it a sawed off shotgun. You don't have to hit lockdown or hatch dead center but you do need to know where the target is.

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ridgerunner already said pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Saves me some typing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by