Ok, so how many chickadees is the right number?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrstillery09, Feb 12, 2012.

1. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I've gotten the ok from the husband, so, I can finally, and safely say, I'm getting some chicks in the coming months! I'm feeling a little obsessed, but I figure that's to be expected. I'm just so excited!

So, I'm trying to figure out how many chicks I should get. I know if you order from a hatchery you usually have to get 25. I know 25 sounds like a lot for a newb, but I'm thinking in case some die, or get sick, then I would still have a decent number. I would like a nice assortment of all different types of chickens together, and this first bunch I get I think I would have them mostly to be used for laying. I'd also planned on a rooster, so in the future if any chicks happened I'd keep the pullets and either rehome or eat the cockrels.

Just as a note, once I decide on how many I plan on getting, I am going to be making a coop and brooder to fit the number. And I probably won't be ordering until about April.

So how many is right for the first flock?

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Well,

What are your reasons for getting them?

To feed your family eggs?

How many in your family?

To sell eggs to the public?

For the pure pleasure?

3. mrstillery09

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Quote:
    I knew I forgot to add some type of important info!

I want to get started on being more sustainable, and responsible when it comes to my food. I'd like to start having chickens just for laying, and then if they have any offspring in the future that are cockrels I would butcher them.

It's just my husband and I, but we are very close with my mom and dad, and I also have 3 siblings who all have children. I'd probably share my eggs with all of them...if I had that many!

I wouldn't mind selling to the public at some point!

A part of it is kind of as a hobby.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

other things to consider...
    how many are you willing to tend to every day.. and how many can you afford to keep?
    if you go on vacation do you have someone lined up to take care of them for you?..

5. mrstillery09

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Quote:
    Yes, thankfully I would be avaliable every day for care. And as far as being able to afford their upkeep I see no reason we wouldn't. If my husband and I ever went on vacation I know for sure one of my nieces or my parents would be able to care for them.

6. Syharrison

Syharrison Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    i'd go for 10 hens you wouldnt need more if it was for personal use

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by