ok so I found...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Jul 26, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    ok so I found some lice on a SS roo that we butchured today. And now i'm figuring that if one has them, they all do, right? So if I use Ortho I have to with-hold egg use for two weeks right? I do use DE but I guess not all of them are dust baithing in it. Or does that not kill them? Sorry for all the questions but i'm just trying to figure things out here on what i'm going to have to do.
    Thanks
    Mollie

2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    please anyone?

3. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I think people here recommend Sevin. Do a search. I have never used anything to control parasites, so I'm certainly no expert.

4. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    I personally would use DE as a preventative and not a cure. Use sevin or a poulty-specific dust or some other treatment listed on the forums. good luck. And yes, assume all of them have lice and treat them all.

5. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I would just bath them all in Dawn Dish soap!! it worked wonders on my bird!! and you dont have to worry about holding back eggs!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sevin dust is the way to go, here's a link from the experts: http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
    Redust
    again 10 days later.
    I dont recommend using Dawn dish soap, it removes the birds natural oils from the feathers that protect their skin. Check out the little bump of skin on their rump at the base of their tailfeathers, that is their oil gland.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by