OK so I have a bunch of Indian Corn...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sparkles2307, Oct 29, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

...and I dont know what to do with it. It seemed like a good idea at the time to grow it, but now that I have a crap load I dont know what to do so its just taking up a bunch of room in my garage... any suggestions? No one will buy it, so thats out and I feel wasteful just cracking it for the chooks...can I like, shell the cobs and put the rainbowy kernels in pretty dishes around the house?

2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I say yes.
    Give some to family

Can you not eat it?

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    popcorn? use a brown paper bag, and you can stick the whole cob in the microwave.

4. sparkles2307

its big, maybe would work for popcorn but I dont know if it'd taste good cause it wasnt dried down all the way when I picked it and its been drying in the garage slowly.
    its the "Earth Tone" corn from Territorial.
    I might end up having to toss to the cows and chooks since no one wants it...

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    I would take it! Lol.

Does it have the husks attached? Tie some together and hang it around the house for decoration. If you made a corn stalk teepee you can add some life to it with the corn.

6. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

I have some of that corn too! I have read that you can grind it into flour and it's fine [​IMG] It won't pop though; pop corn and regular corn are different.

7. keedokes

keedokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    We used to make indian corn necklaces or bracelets--we'd soak the kernels in water for awhile, thread a needle, and make them as long or as short as we wanted, then let the kernels dry. It was a fun activity. [​IMG]

8. sparkles2307

Thanks for the suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by