Ok so I have a great rescue pet, she is a Heeler

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AllenK RGV, Jul 14, 2018.

1. AllenK RGV

AllenK RGV Chicken Addict Premium Member

This dog killed my last flock, but man is she loyal. I would totally wish this red heeler on anyone wanting a companion animal. She has been dumped by humans 2x before that we know of. Regardless, now she is fully vetted and needs to leave our property so we can freerange our flock.

Any takers on a heeler? I can promise you this is a dog that will be totally loyal to you. Ido not know if it is possible to train chicken killing out of her as I do not keep that many chicken.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Good luck finding her a home. Generally a chicken killer, always a chicken killer. I might try working with her with a shock collar, but that will take some time. Generally dogs go through multiple homes for a reason and it usually isn't the dogs fault, it's the fault of the first owner not raising it correctly, nor finding the dog of value to them. Hopefully you can find something that isn't just another stop for the dog. Constantly losing their people and home will traumatized a dog.

3. Mrs. Light Sussex

Mrs. Light Sussex Songster

Jul 10, 2017
    Rechasim, Israel
  4. AllenK RGV

Yep relisting her on a few rescue sites today. She is a totally vetted dog today, spayed dowormed, heartworm - completely vetted now..... Just my chicken running loose on my property are more important to this vegan than a stupid dog. Possibly she could be trained, but it might take 20 hours. She really isn't worth that investment to me. Not in this Texas heat at least.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018 at 10:26 PM

5. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Chirping

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Awww. I have a red heeler mix and she is the most important to me. She wants to chase the geese a little bit mostly wants to protect them than eat them.

AllenK RGV likes this.
  6. AllenK RGV

Mine is a flock kiler. I cannont Place much importance on that.

7. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Chirping

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Sorry, I can't have that. But I love my heele r mix. She is a great dog. I wish you luck in finding her a home without fowl. They are the best dogs.

Mimi’s 13 and AllenK RGV like this.

8. llombardo

llombardo Songster

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois

All I got out of this is "stupid dog". I hope she finds a home that can love her and understand her.

9. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Chirping

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Heelers are usually very smart but very hard headed. I've had my mix for 6 years and she still has no recall. I have several acres so she doesn't bother anyone. They are great dogs but require a job. I think mine counts the fowl to make sure they are all there. She takes predator losses personally. Allen, I would gladly take her BUT, my hard headed girl is very insistent that she be an only dog. I can only add fowl and cats. She loves her some cat. They make the most delicious tootsie rolls!

Mimi’s 13 and AllenK RGV like this.

10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I found that sad too. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by