OK, so I have one chick so far, but....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Twoheadedrooster, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Twoheadedrooster

Twoheadedrooster Out Of The Brooder

The chick hatched an hour or so ago, but now it appears it's excreting the yolk and a little blood out it's backside. This can't be normal, can it? What can I do?

2. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:Did you help it at all? and what is your humidity like? what kind of incubator are you using?

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    it is not excreting anything.. it has to absorb that yolk.. bleeding is not normal.. of course, coming out of the shell before that yolk is absorbed is not normal either.. did you "help" it out of the shell? no answer is necessary..

4. Twoheadedrooster

Quote:No, I didn't "help" it out of the shell. I was suprised to find it hatched out at all, since it was only day 20.

5. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Sounds like your temp may be a bit too high... If the temp is above ideal, it can cause the chicks to hatch early.. If there is a temp spike during lockdown, it can cause the chicks to hatch too quickly and they don't have time to absorb the yolk....

Goddess [​IMG]

6. Twoheadedrooster

Quote:Thank you.

7. Bette Bee

Bette Bee New Egg

Jan 25, 2011
    can you tell me...what is "lockdown"?

8. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Lockdown is the last 3 days of incubation... This is when you up the humidity, stop turning the eggs and don't open the incubator until the hatch is done... [​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by