OK, so I'm expanding...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mahonri, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have an 8 X 12 coop with a small run and I have 19 chickens in there. 1 roo that isn't doing his job and 18 hens, 4 are still juvies.

I have 12, 7 week old chicks roaming the north lawn and roosting up in a dog kennel at night. (7 pullets 5 roos)

3 of those roos will go to freezer camp in 8 weeks, I'll probably end up selling my beautiful Speckled Sussex roo and then I have a pair of Golden Cuckoo Marans that I'm keeping.

DS #2 just finished building me two breeding pens... north half of the pens are half way opened with chicken wire, south ends w/ nests are enclosed.

Both pens are almost identical mirror images of one another and are 4.5' high and 10' X 4' have a long roost on one side and three nest boxes on the other that I can access from the outside. They both sit on concrete, (should make easy cleaning with a hose). My wife thinks it's going to permanantly stain the cement. Neither have attached runs.

How many birds do you think I can put into these... so that they aren't too crowded. 5? 8?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would say 8 would be fine.. Just my opinion though... [​IMG]

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Well I would go with 6 birds especially if they have to be locked fora while.
    show us some pictures please.

Omran

4. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:That's what I was thinking... 6 to 8.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by