Ok, so I'm going to buy a simple incubator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OhioEggs, Jan 9, 2010.

1. OhioEggs

OhioEggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Springfield, OH
  2. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    I have both the still air(simple) and the turbofan models. They look like Hovabators from GQF. I've successfully hatched with them, I think it is a decent product, though some got the new Genesis...it self monitors the temp. I would love a cabinet one, but that is a little out of my price range. Have fun, I love hatching eggs! [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You might want to check out Cutler Supply or the GQF website......I bet either of those places have it cheaper. Stromberg's is usually more expensive.

I've got 3 Genesis 1588s and one 1590.....I like them a lot.

4. OhioEggs

Feb 16, 2009
    Springfield, OH
    so if i don't have turner, is it safe to open it to turnn them?

I've done it before, in second grade and ik we opened it and turned them over.

is this what i'd do?

5. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
  6. Eagle2026

Eagle2026 HIGH FLYER

Mar 10, 2009
    Snohomish, WA.
    Incubating eggs need to be turned six times a day min.
    However, if it's by your hand an automatic turner or the hen herself.
    I really do recommend a turner as turning them by hand is a problem at day 15 or so....
    I swear by the little giants myself, with fan and turner.
    If you have to get one piece at a time.
    Mike

7. weirdmuse

weirdmuse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    If this is the type of incubator you're looking for, you can get it cheaper at your local Tractor Supply store. They have the Little Giant (model 9200) incubator for 41.99. This will not only save you on the incubator but also on shipping.

8. OhioEggs

Feb 16, 2009
    Springfield, OH
    thanks guys. I'm going to buy the bator first then add pieces as i go. I'll tough it out with turnning until i can afford a turner.

9. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    You live close enough to me, that if you want a big styrofoam box to make an incubator, I can pick some up from work for you! There is one size that is bit enough for a turner, several if you can figure out how to stack them! Of course, it will require making the incubator, but it is a less expensive option. Without a turner, I found that the easiest way to turn them by hand is to put them in egg cartons, and then prop it up on a piece of broomstick. Just tip it back and forth over the dowel, like a teeter totter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by