ok so im new here and to pigeons =)

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by cochin123, Nov 18, 2010.

1. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    i what do i need to feed them and can they be keep on wire or do i have to keep them on dirt/shavins , and what do i give them for grit ?

2. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    [​IMG] fellow Floridian! I am new to pigeons, too. I mixed wild bird seed with chicken feed and a little red grit. This seems okay, but more experienced folks on here will give you more information. I checked the ingredients on the bird seed to match it up to some of the things they said they can eat, like Milo (sp?). I think a wire cage is fine, but they do like to have nest boxes and perches.

3. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Hey fellow pigeon newbie!

I'm a reader, so I picked up "Pigeons for Pleasure and Profit" by Foy and Hetland. Very good reference for beginners and you can get used ones off Amazon for $10 http://www.amazon.com/Pigeons-Pleasure-Profit-Complete-Raising/dp/0911466215/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290197207&sr=1-3

I
    feed mixed pigeon grains and pigeon grit. From what I understand, it's best to feed chicken food/grit to chickens and pigeon food/grit to pigeons. I keep pairs in 10 sq ft rabbit cages with perches, and they seem happy enough.

Good luck! [​IMG]

Bryan

Edited to remove "welcome to BYC" as Cochin's been on here more than me. Duh.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by