ok so I'm sure they're cockerels but.....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kristina, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I need some clarification here.....

I'm pretty positive this guy is a cockerel but I'm just checking...he was hatched in about june I believe. He is a cuckoo marans if that helps.

[​IMG]

THis guy (I think anyways) if I remember came out of a phoenix egg but I can't find any phoenix or onagadori pics that look like him. Also hatched out about june. He has a bad case of crooked neck that developed recently. Is there anything I can do for that? His neck makes an S shape. He's really beautiful so I'd like to fix it. It doesn't seem to be affecting him any at this point.

[​IMG]

Does 92caddy visit this board anymore...he may be able to help with the gray one..these came from his eggs.

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I'd say your cuckoo marans is a girl.
    To be almost 6 months old, comb and wattles should be bigger for cockeral, and should also have pointed hackle and saddle feathers, which are missing.
    Comb and wattles are about the size of my BR girls and they hatched in July.

Can't help with the 2nd one.

3. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I'd have to say the Cuckoo is a hen as well:

Here is a pick of my Cuckoo rooster at 8 weeks:

[​IMG]

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I would also say the first is a pullet, the second a roo.

5. Sherriekim

Sherriekim Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Southwest Idaho
    Kristina, here is a link to a post regarding another BYC poster who had a chicken who developed a crooked neck with some advice that she took and then reported really good results. You might contact her directly for further info, but anyways, here's the link....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20594

Hope it helps, that's a pretty nice looking chicken!

6. Kristina

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Boy would I be happy if that cuckoo is a hen! It hasn't tried crowing yet and just started getting it's tail feathers. That would be fantastic!

Sherrie thanks for that link I will go check it now..I really want to help that bird...even though I'm not sure what it is LOL

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  7. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    1st on looks like a girl who will start laying anyday now and the 2nd looks like a boy.

I think the crooked neck is from a vitamin deficiency. You can try using poly-vi-sol, an infant vitamin found at Walmart. I think it was 2 or 3 drops daily into the beak should do it. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  8. Kristina

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Well I'm going to wal mart today so I'll pick some up. I do have something funny to share though. The Maran is my husband's chicken which he lovingly chose the name T-Rex for. He has always said that it was his roo. Well yesterday I left to go get my DD from school and had left this screen on the computer. When I got back he tells me sadly....."t-rex is a girl Well no wonder it didn't want anything to do with mating the big girls! [​IMG] "

I thought it was funny [​IMG]

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I also think the first pic is a hen...and the polyvisol is what might help with the crooked neck...l

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by