OK, so I've decided I dislike Earwigs.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TheChickenCameFirst, Aug 12, 2010.

1. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

I was happily going along one day with my garden chores, weeding, planting, watering, etc.

I was enjoying the day and having a great time, enjoying the quiet while my baby girl was napping. The night before my husband had surprised me with a nice tray of marigolds to plant in my veggie garden to ward off pests.

I was about to take the first plug and plant it, when I noticed the leaves had been eaten. Strange I thought since they are supposed to be inedible to many bugs, and ward off many others. So, I pick up the tray. MISTAKE.

Onto the ground and my hands spill HUNDREDS (I am NOT exaggerating) of nasty earwigs!!! (on my list of hated bugs they come right after Ticks) [​IMG]

I drop the tray and do that involuntary dance you do when you're totally disgusted by something and want it off you right now. Onto the ground spill all my flowers... and hundreds more earwigs! I could NOT believe it! I have never seen such an infestation!

I stomp on as many as I could covering my lawn with guts, and cast a warning eye at those who run to hide in the grass. Yes, it was gross!
    I figure I have killed all I could, and go on to pick up the flowers. I find a few stragglers hiding in the tray, and I kill them as well, finally figuring I had gotten rid of as many as possible.

Another day I find more hiding under a bag of dirt left lying on the ground. Even more while tilling a new area of sod.

Has anyone else had this problem!? I couldn't believe it, when I found out that earwigs eat marigolds! Could they have come in the tray from the nursery? I have no idea. Is this a bad year for them!? I can't wait to get my chickens..... I've heard they go combat on earwigs. [​IMG]

2. miladachicken

miladachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    Oregon
    WoW. That's not weird at all! I'm wondering where you got the plants, and how the infestation started [​IMG] bt I'm sure it will be a good story that you will share for a long time

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and [​IMG] plus [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] You will love it here!!!!!

The earwigs more than likely came from the nursery and I do not envy you AT ALL!!! EWWW!!!!!

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I have to say earwigs are the nastiest bug around. I have always had a deep hatred of them. I have my sympathies.

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Quote:I am with you!!! They like or rather LOVE moisture so if it was wet there the plants you were transplanting or under that bag of soil I am sure was damp at least...they go for that.
    Here is a horror story for you. We used to get them IN the HOUSE in the bathroom all the time (from drain I guess in bathtub) lots of moisture ...yada yaada... anyway, that was about 5 years ago. I was having surgery and we kept the bedroom cool with an airconditioner (ande we had terrible leaky windows back then.) so there was always earwigs in the bedroom. Well, recovering from surgery is no fun, you hurt so bad you can't move or are so drugged and sleepy you cant move and they would make it into the bed somehow and I was getting bit all the freakin time and I was defensless! We do not have those issues now due to better windows and better siding and all. But, to this day, I cannot let the blankets overhang the bed at ALL, and I have to sleep with earplugs in in case one was to crawl in my ear. [​IMG]

Spread some DE around the area or get some Orange Guard, either one will take care of the issue.

6. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    I am right there with you. This year seems worse than most. The chickens are having a hayday. I decided to try artichokes this year. everyone told me they wouldnt grow, wouldnt get fruit ect. Well I have nice big artichokes.....infested with earwigs [​IMG]

7. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    The only earwigs I have, anymore are in the front yard, hiding under the garbage can, where the chickens cannot get them.

Anywhere else and they are chicken chow.

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I think that is the first bug name a kid learns (unless they are in the projects, then it's cockroach) I remember one of my kindergarten students telling all about how nasty they were.

9. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!! The nasty Pincher Bug [​IMG]

They are thick here in Colorado. In fact I just killed one crawling on the couch. They're everywhere, inside and out [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  10. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I hate them earwigs too. There is a state park in southern Wisconsin that my family and I USED to go to. Governor Dodge State Park. The last time we went there, the earwigs were horrendous! We slept with a light on because they don't like the light. And they kept crawling in the babies playpen and in out sleeping area. We havn't been back since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by