Ok so let me tell you the life of my chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Peachesbabychick, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello! I just wanted to share the life my chickens live, and see if there is anything I'm doing wrong, or could be doing better.

Chick hood: The chicks have a nursery in the house by the fire. I give them fresh water and food every day along with a clean pen. For bedding I use soft towels and hay.

Pullet hood: The young birds are moved into the garage into a bigger pen. No heat lamp. I usually take them outside for a little fresh air sometimes. Fresh food and water daily.

Young chicken hood: They are almost hens! They are moved into their pen in the barn (stall). Pine shavings for bedding. They get all the same treats that the full-grown hens get. And yes, fresh food and water daily. I clean their pen about every 3 days.

Hen hood!!! It is time to merge them in with my other girls! I am a nervous mother. Will they all get along? They free-range together for the first time. At night, the are put into the secure coop. My older hens state their place in the pecking order.

They get a variety of treats including: Bread, oyster soup crackers, cheerios, corn, yogurt/cottage cheese ( mixed) ,peanut, sunflower, bean, and pumpkin seeds. Along with their oatmeal block, tablescraps, greens, food pellets and grit! Whew! They also free-range! When they are not, they have a huge coop and outdoor pen. [​IMG] (when they get old they do NOT go in the stew pot!)

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The only I area I beat is you is bedtime. I kiss them goodnight! Ans sometimes they end up in bed with us...
    Your chickens sound very well taken care off. Keep it up![​IMG]

3. Peachesbabychick

Well I do if I am at the coop at night! How sweet! Yours sound well taken care of to![​IMG]

4. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Thank you for taking such good care of your chickens. Ours won't be eaten, either. They are our friends and give us eggs. When they stop laying, they will still be our freinds.

5. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Sounds like your chickens are living a very happy chicken life!![​IMG] Mine also are living a very happy chicken life!! And yes when my chickens do stop laying eggs they will live out the rest of their lives just being chickens.

6. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Quote:Oh My!! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Peachesbabychick

I agree! They ARE our friends! Although I do enjoy a nice piece of fried chicken sometimes, I would NEVER do that to my precious babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by