Ok so making a homemade bator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cariboujaguar, Feb 18, 2009.

1. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    Let me start by saying I DID look at the links in the FAQ and searched the web, but I am not the brightest bulb in the bunch (understatement of the year) and I just don't understand alot of this. I've seen these itemized lists of what to buy but don't know exactly what to get...

The electronic thermostat is from Wal Mart of Lowes I understand? Is there a brand to look for?

What is a 'bottlelamp set up'? I think that's what it was referred to be, maybe a bottle light, it was bottle something...

What is a wiggler and why do you need it?

How do you guage the humidity in the box?

How long do you reccomend somebody studies hatching before they try it on their own (especially with a home made) are there any good articles or anything you guys could point me to?

2. macnugget

macnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Now go to lowes and then go to the hot water heater area and look for the thermostat it black and has 2 screws on it and a adjustment screw. No brand

A light kit is found in the electrial area. or if you have an old table top lamp that you don't use take it apart you need the part that you screw the light bulb in and the cord. water wiggler is a kids play toy dollar store has them. http://rinovelty.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.thumbs/cat/198/Novelties_Water_Wigglers

them you can get a combo humidity temp meter at walmart or
    http://www.strictlypetsupplies.com/_096316680296-Zilla-Humidity-Temperature-Gauge pet store

hope that helps

nick

3. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
  4. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    Twigg Thank you, I haven't checked out that thread yet and I will.. but it's hard to scan through all the posts looking for specific info... alot of people just chatting or what not, which is why I couldn't find alot of info in those other threads. But yes I will check it out! [​IMG]

EDIT: sorry I was mistaken, I have thoroughly read that one. Thank you for the link, I'll try to make heads or tails of this, my husband is a genious, he'll help [​IMG]

macnugget Thank you for all those links!!! Sooo helpfull!!!!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by