Ok, so much hype about Marans and Welsummers..pick one

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CA Bean, Sep 11, 2008.

1. CA Bean

CA Bean Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok so I have a friend who's parents have a ton of different chicken breeds and I want to get some of the dark laying egg chickies. I think I can have both kinds but I dont' want to get in over my head so if you had to pick one, which would you get? Welsummers or Maran's? Nice temperment, nice color eggs, good/decent layers etc..
    Or should I just go for both?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My welsummers are more consistant layers, but I like my Marans' personalities better. I'd get some of both. [​IMG]

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You DO realize we're a bunch of enablers on here, right? Get them both!

I've got Welsummers and Copper Black Marans. The Marans is not laying yet, but I know she'll lay extremely dark eggs, as she came from excellent stock. One of my juvenile Welsummers began laying 2 weeks ago, and I have to say I'm impressed with the egg color. Very dark brown/reddish, and the color has stayed consistent thus far. Marans are known to have egg color fade as they go through their lay cycle.

Here's my first Welsummer egg (bottom right):
    [​IMG]

As far as temperament, my Marans are much more laid back than my Welsummers.

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I was unable to get Welsummers, but I do have Black Copper Marans. I love them!!! [​IMG] They're so friendly and calm. They're also gorgeous.

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I had the same dilemma as you. I ended up getting Welsummers for now, but I am likely to get some Marans in the future.

I chose Wellies for a few reasons. In no particular order:

1. Marans are WAAAAAAAY too expensive right now. It's an insane fad at the moment, and I'm confident that the price will be going way down in the next year or two.

2. Marans are big birds. I decided to go with medium to small breeds for now.

3. Marans have a reputation as feed hogs.

4. I like speckled eggs. It's my impression (which may be mistaken) that Wellies lay speckled eggs more often than Marans do.

5. I reaaaaaaaaaaally like the looks of Wellie roosters.

All that said, I'll vote with the others -- get both!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If you get some of the "fad" colors right now they're expensive, but plain old cuckoos (which I've had for 6 years) aren't that expensive.

7. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Glad to see this thread/info!

I'm wanting some Marans, as well. Price is nuts, though!

8. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Both, not even a question. [​IMG]

9. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I don't have either but, I have read a few places Welsummers are more economical eaters & good foregers!

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Hard to find a nicer hen than a Welsummer.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by