OK so... My newborns are rolling the eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AnniesEggFarm, May 8, 2009.

1. AnniesEggFarm

AnniesEggFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    My newborn keets are rolling my unhatched eggs, I don't have anything to put them in tonight... Would I totally mess up everything if I put the eggs in cartons... today is day 19/20??? [​IMG] First time hatching, learning MANY lessons...

Jenn [​IMG]

2. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    how often are they being rolled
    if its not too much i wouldnt worry about it but if u have a card board box and a heat lamp u could use those to make a brooder

3. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    It won't hurt the chicks to be rolled around a bit, but it will hurt them if you open up the incubator before they're finished hatching! Once you open the incubator you lose the humidity the chicks need to pip and hatch, and you could end up having most of them die before they hatch.
    Read up on the threads about hatching in egg cartons and then maybe try that next time. The eggs stay in the carton cups and don't get kicked around, plus it's a lot less mess to clean up after.
    Good Luck with this hatch.

4. AnniesEggFarm

AnniesEggFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    I have made a brooder... I have had to open the bator already.... [​IMG]
    Trust me I have made EVERY novice mistake... [​IMG] I should have my hatching license taken away from me... [​IMG].... My bator seems to be very forgiving and the humidity jumps right back up! Argh.... We shall see... Are for see a long few days....

Jenn [​IMG]

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Bumper chicks is GOOD for them. Leave them in there. The noise and movement and occassional bashing is generally helpful. Noise and motion help keep those hatching stimulated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by