Ok, so not Welsummers

labelcherky

Chirping
Sep 10, 2015
I bought these as day old chicks. Supposed to be speckled sussex. I thought I had indentified them as Welsummers when I had four dark eggs and only three Marans. I've since figured out that these two mystery pullets are not laying the extra dark eggs. (I guess there was a Maran egg I missed). These girls are laying basic medium brown eggs.

Do you think they are black sex links? They have a lot of gold to them, though. Ideas?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sussex have white legs. If the legs are white (can't tell by photos) then Sussex. Not at all body type for Welsummer and with hatchery birds you rarely get good representations of breed. Figuring out breeds can be problematic due to that.

Yep, I was disappointed when I realized they weren't sussex... then excited when I thought they were welsummers instead. LOL. I figure if they came from a hatchery they are SOMETHING and not barn yard mix but I'm stumped.

Whatever they turn out to be...
smile.png
they are the friendliest birds I've ever had.

Last edited:
Thank you. They don't have the penciling I would expect from a partridge rock. Maybe they are just poor specimens. Last time I buy from the feed store.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom