ok so NOW what???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cherylcohen, Jan 27, 2010.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    I dusted everything and the girls with Sevin, lice are gone, however the little eggs that have attached themselves to the bases of the girls feathers are still there. I've been told to reapply treatment in 7-10 days.

Will the eggs fall off? They are really tight on the feathers I can't pull them off!!

Should I bathe them? Help they are ucky!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You will have to manually remove the egg sacks, yes. Sorry!

3. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    thanks, by what method, they are so hard and crusted on...will they soften in water?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't know since I haven't had to do it, but someone who has ought to be able to help you with that. I know I've seen several posts about it. Let me see if I can find it.
    **okay, here is a quote from an older thread:

pips&peeps :

Quote:Yes, you have to pull the feathers out if you want to remove the eggs. You can try snipping the feathers too.

I will pm you to tell you what I use on my flock to prevent lice.​

5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    You should be able to just redust in 7-10 days when those eggs hatch (I would actually do a total of 3 dustings a week between each one) and leave the feathers alone. They eggs won't bother anything since the lice will already be hatched and dead from the dusting and will come off when the bird naturally molts the feathers. I would not remove any feathers from the birds....way overkill IMO...

6. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    When I brought home a bird with bad lice- I washed some globs off, cut some off, and pulled out feathers for the stuff that would just not come off. A small amount of discomfort to get rid of a bad problem was necessary. No way am I leaving those to hatch. Even with treating every 7 days, I am not going to leave obvious globs of eggs.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

No real experience or help here, but at least you can say that you have gotten a 1000 eggs a day from each chicken. [​IMG]

Imp

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Quote:[​IMG] Always looking at the bright side!....

9. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    cool you guys are great...I just read this from a UC Davis paper - looks like I'm doing it again in 4 days (since I did it 3 days ago)....argh Do you guys agree???

Eggs require 4 to 7 days to hatch and then 10 to 15 days to reach adulthood. An adult louse can lay from 50 to 300 eggs in its 3-week lifespan.Chemical treatment, if required, should be applied at 10- to 14-day intervals until the lice and nit numbers fall below this level. Louse eggs are resistant to insecticides, so a single insecticide treatment may not be sufficient to provide control. Louse eggs will subsequently hatch when the insecticide is no longer active. By re-treating at 7- to 10-day intervals, you can kill the newly hatched generation that survived the previous chemical treatment before they can grow to adulthood and lay additional eggs.

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Boy, no answer all day. Guess bugs aren't popoular today.

Retreating in 7-10 days is the commonly accepted practice.

I have read that numerous times.

Imp- likes the bug threads

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by