Ok, so options were.... feeding question update from other post

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
So my feed store does not carry a game bird feed, so they directed me elsewhere. At the new feed store, they carry game buird feed but its only 19%! They had another turkey broiler pellet that is 22%, which I bought. Couldn't find anything any highher near me.... what's the dilly? Why would the feed only be 19%/ 22% when those birds require a higher percentage? I'm also concerned about the size of the pellet.... how will I know if they are able to eat it, and whether they are getting the correct amount?

Look for game bird "starter" (GBS) it comes in crumbles and normally a higher % in protein.

That's what I do anyway, then add the extras for laying hens like oyster shell and egg shell crumbles for the calcium.

The pellets are probably going to be too big for quail. So you may have to break them up for them to eat. I have a terrible time sometimes finding high protein feed and have had to settle for 18% on occasion. It won't kill them till you can find other feed. You can add high protein foods to boost the protein levels if you have too. (things like hard boiled eggs, meal worms, nuts or sunflower seeds or even soy meal and such).

Good luck!
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm feeding my quail Dumor 24% crumbles, it was the highest protein I could find.

Last edited:
24% is not that bad and will be fine if that is all you have. You can always offer up a hard boiled egg or some meal worms to up the protein and they will be in good shape.
smile.png

Quote:
I'm in the same boat, the gamebird locally is the maintenance. Guess I better check out that "grow your own meal worms thread" as my egg boils.
smile.png

Last edited:
Ok, so I switched to the 22%. The pellets are actually broken up very well. They are not at all like chicken pellets and they seem to be eating well. But holy poop was that stuff EXPENSIVE! Good thing they don't eat a whole lot, cuz I won't even spend that much for feed for my chickens.....and I LOVE them. The quail are a little side project.

Quote:
Probably because you live in the "pheasant belt" and PHEASANTS are the only GAME BIRDS that exist within this belt, and the only thing they need is 19% protein game bird pellets to see them through the winter. Until spring, when the only game birds that exist needs higher protein crumbles.

Find a good Purina Mills dealer. Commit to buying a constant amount of product #5419. Once you find a good feed store, don't jerk them around to save a buck a 50# bag!

Sorry for the edit, but please tell them what you want #5419, and don't take feed advice from them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Probably because you live in the "pheasant belt" and PHEASANTS are the only GAME BIRDS that exist within this belt, and the only thing they need is 19% protein game bird pellets to see them through the winter. Until spring, when the only game birds that exist needs higher protein crumbles.

Find a good Purina Mills dealer. Commit to buying a constant amount of product #5419. Once you find a good feed store, don't jerk them around to save a buck a 50# bag!

Sorry for the edit, but please tell them what you want #5419, and don't take feed advice from them.

X2 on the don't take advise from them. I would take advise from Joe125 on the matter, Quaillady, TwoCrows, JJ who is darn near an unofficial Vet with his knowledge of disease and needs.

Take Joe's words. Gospel...(if you're going for convenient crumble feed, which is what we all want to do....Gosh I want to go back to the days of one bag and no cooking for the "other set of kids")....But I sell organic non gmo by DEMAND ...(like come to my house DEMAND). Egg people are funny that way. I digress as usual!

Back
Top Bottom