Ok, so sand?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wbruder17, Mar 6, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Does anyone here use sand on the ground of a large outsoor run? How does it work for cleaning and mud maintenance?

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
  3. slurrywidow

slurrywidow Chirping

Nov 17, 2010
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I just posted a response to the sand question in your other thread. I am a huge fan of using sand here in Oregon.

Oh, didn't mention in my other post: I used aggregate type sand, not beach sand. I have about 4-6 inches down. Very easy to rake around and keep clean. No need for dust bathing areas as the girls use it all. [​IMG]

Also, I was worried that it would be "sticky" when wet and stick to their feet, making a mess with the coop and eggs. I haven't seen that happening so that was also a plus.

4. treeman52

treeman52 In the Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    I am building my run now it will all be covered with metal roof. I plan to put several inches of sand down in there, hopefully over a layer of rock, with treated wood base board and concrete blocks, it will be raised several inches above the outside ground level so any rain that blows in should drain and dry quickly

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    A good friend of mine just built a 'pallet coop' down in Casa Grande and is putting sand inside the coop.

Should be fun to see how they do once I get him some chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: