ok so the bucket nests are not all cracked up

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by smom1976, May 20, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I was building my coop and I liked the way the bucket nests looked so I was trying my darndest to get them to work in my coop. and it is just seeming like square nests will just work better, they stack easier they can put a perch on easier.. and they just seem all around easier.. I was going to even take the bottom out of the buckets to use my lift flap from the outside of the coop.. its not working!! So back to the drawing board and I just may be making some square boxes.. [​IMG]

2. ozzie

ozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
  3. tomdeggeater

tomdeggeater Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Rocky Hill, CT.
    Another idea is to lay old milk crates on their side with a 2" board on the bottom front to keep the straw and eggs in the nest. Maybe a little cardboard for privacy...
    Tom [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  4. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Yes I have 4 crates.. I was thinking of using them.. I have to get about 4 more.. I ran into the problem with stacking two rows of buckets.. I can only put three next to each other with buckets but I can put 4 square boxes... I have 16 hens so I need at least 8 nests..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by