Ok, so what do mille fleur d'uccles chicks look like?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shelleyd2008, Dec 6, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That's what I thought I had, but my friend that gave me the eggs (she didn't know which eggs she brought over) says they don't look like millie chicks? I am pretty sure her millies are seperated, and she has no other booted chickens, except for a white cochin (standard), and these guys aren't standard sized at all!! These pics aren't very good, but you can get an idea of what they look like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you can help! [​IMG]

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    The dark ones with white spots will be barred. Are they feather footed?

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I was referring to the little orange ones. The black ones are BR and BR mixes. And yes, the little orange ones have feathered legs and feet.

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Your little orange ones look like Millie Fleur's to me.
    Give them a couple of days and they'll start getting their wing feathers in and It'll be easier to tell.

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Those sure look like Millies to me, Shelley...
    I just had two babies hatch this afternoon... let me post a pic for you.
    BRB...

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Here's the two that just hatched this afternoon...
    [​IMG]

Here's one standing a little taller, only a day old.
    [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oh how cute! I was thinking they were, but then the person that gave me the eggs said they didn't look like millie chicks...I think she just wanted to make me sweat! I did google it though, and the ones I found were really dark with orange faces, so that had me a little stumped. How in the world can you be hatching now?? I am having hard enough time trying to figure out where to put all my chicks!!
    ETA: I have a 'brooder' box with crowing chicks in it...don't have any place to put them!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I told you about Becky (my blue silkie?) Except that I found out she has lice, so I quickly removed the babies and treated her while she's out of the pens. [​IMG] I have 3 small brooders on the dining room table (where's the blushing smilie when I need it?), and one big one out in the garage, where it's heated to 65°F by the furnace. [​IMG] But I have 4 more Millies in the incubator, and a bunch of coturnix eggs for a client, due in a couple of weeks. [​IMG] Hubby has been sweet (and [​IMG]) about the chicks, but what can I do? [​IMG] It's an addiction... [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You have chicks on your TABLE?? Well that makes me feel better about thinking of putting the jumbos I'm getting on top of the chest freezer in the dining room! I don't think my dad would be so keen on it though! I need to seriously get some cages! I have duck and goose eggs in the bator, with more duck and goose eggs on the way. And even more duck eggs (from someone else!) coming next week as well. Then the jumbo coturnix! I must be crazy! I wish we had a garage, that would be so much easier! I think they will get tarp covered cages on the porch, cause the spare bedroom already has two incubators, a hatcher, a button quail brooder, a chick brooder, and two cages with an older button and some A&M quail in it. That room is not that big! [​IMG] The bator with the duck and goose eggs I have now is in my bathroom, no more room in the spare bedroom!

ETA: the good thing about the chicks in the pic is they are in the barn with their 'mama'! No brooder for them, unless she decides she needs to leave these early like she did the last ones she had. Those poor babies were still going into the nest waiting for her, while she was roosting in the barn! They were barely 4 weeks old!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Well, in my defense, we only use the "dining room" table (it's a big open log home) for Thanksgiving and Christmas. The Saturday after T-day we had the Light Brahmas and one millie hatch, so the brooders went back onto the table... perfect timing! You DO sound worse than me, though... I'm just saying. [​IMG] Our hot-tub room off of the master bedroom is not used during the summer, so that's where my incubators and hatchers are set up. There's only the one incubator going right now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by