Ok, so what is the deal with the "Holy Egg"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TexasChick09, Dec 4, 2009.

1. TexasChick09

TexasChick09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
  2. If it is a fertilized egg, I would go ahead and put it in the bator and try hatching it. It might be one HOLY SPECIAL chick.

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Not going to touch the religious aspect, but the whole thing looks... wrinkly.

Is that normal? For a healthy chicken to produce a wrinkly egg?

Or would an egg that came out all funky like that indicate a lack in diet? Maybe calcium?

I'm still learning, have a long way to go, but that just does NOT look like a healthy normal egg to me.

*feels dumb*

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. TexasChick09

Sep 25, 2009
    Oh yeah, definitely staying away from any religious aspect of the egg. I was just curious as to what could cause that sort of "issue" with the shell itself, all of those bumps and stuff.

5. PineappleMama

I'ma try adding the pic... let's see if it works...

[​IMG]

See, it looks like my Grampa's droopy chin or something...

Now, if you had a perfectly nice pretty healthy egg, with a pretty cross on it, that'd be different.
    But this just looks like someone doesn't have a healthy hen and is capitalizing on it.

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    looks like a pine cone covered in shell.

It'd make a nice ornament.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Looks to me like the effects of viral or bacterial illness in the hen. Different illness can display in the wrinkly egg shells.

Also nutritional deficiencies can cause it.

Every once in a while there is a hiccup inthe egg factory and you get a weird shaped egg.

Remember eggs are a biological product and every perfect/semi perfect egg is not the norm.

Most people are used to the perfect white grocery store egg and any anomaly is suddenly this amazing phenomenon - which it isn't. Raise enough chickens for enough years and these things are run of the mill.

8. TexasChick09

Sep 25, 2009
    Thanks for the info Prissy!

I had chickens for several years growing up, but never really had any odd eggs. Maybe one that was a bit too soft, but that was it. My current chickens have not been laying long so other than the extremely oblong shaped one, nothing odd. Anyone else had any odd shaped/textured eggs?

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My guineas are total free range and forage for their food. One of the youngest laying hens had a wrinkled shelled egg earlier this spring. One of the ducks also had an odd shelled egg but she was injured on antibiotics at the time. It happens.

10. PineappleMama

Quote:Yeah, that's what I was worried about, but I didn't know since I'm still learning. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out these poor hens weren't doing all that great. But of course that won't stop someone from making a buck off it. *sigh* Boy I have read way to many sad news stories if I'm this cynical.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by