1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Ok so what is with the undercarriage sagging?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Jennyhaschicks, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Songster

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    My goose has a saggy under carriage. She was hatched at the beginning and the saggyness is getting bigger. Is this something that only females get. My gander seems to have it a bit but not as bad.
    We went to the fair this weekend and there was goose that had such a sag going on it was dragging on the ground. [​IMG]

2. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    It's a natural trait in some geese, especially Toulouse and American buffs. There are probably others. My Americans have very fat saggy bums [​IMG] . That seem to get fatter for their first year. When the goose was laying, her belly literally dragged the ground. No wonder they can't fly. Their feathers are stained from our ten months of "mud" weather and fat bellies dragging.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    When my geese are laying they have one wide fat roll and when they are off egg season they have 2 flappy ones.

They are actually called lobes, but they look like fat rolls to me. [​IMG]

4. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    I call them butt cheeks [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It's totally normal, many breeds of geese have lobes. Some have 2 and some only have 1, but I can't think of any right off that don't have them. Maybe chinese?

6. bravevline

bravevline Songster

Apr 30, 2013
    nope; one of my chinas has it bad...

7. servpolice

servpolice Songster

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland

pure breed chinese dont have that,maybe yours is a african since they have it espically my buff female africans

8. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Songster

It´s a goose thing (at least, the greylag-descendants) and there are some breeds that won´t have it if they´re only foraging, but when well-fed they develop it. Some ganders do, others not...more a breed thing. It´s ok. I have a little 5-month-old who is already developing it, poor starved little soul! [​IMG] It´s just her breed..

9. starbird

starbird In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    I think your goose if fat and happy!

10. clmschke

clmschke Chirping

Jul 2, 2012
    Southern Wisconsin
    [​IMG] Here you see Molly, a Toulouse goose, in the middle with her two kids. She's got a pretty big keel as we call it. After hatching her kids, it was small and it got bigger as she was off the nest.

I have my theories as to why female geese get keels. One is that they serve as more surface area to cover the eggs in the nest. Also, as Mom gets into water, those feathers get wet and with the added warmth of the extra surface area of the keel would keep the eggs warm and moist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by