1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK so who can tell me about pigs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kristina, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I am wanting to know about pigs. Like I need anything else, but the neighborhood says that we need one LOL! So whats the smallest ones I can get. I can't get a huge pig so can someone give me the scoop?

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I don't have pigs but this is what I found online. I might have to get one. They are the smallest breeds of pigs you can get. They're called Royal Dandies.

go to www.royaldandie.com

here's a picture from the website of a 2 week old:
    [​IMG]

3. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Very cute piggies, but this:

QUOTE:
    We are the only breeders in the World at this time. We have never sold un-neutered piglets! We do not sell breeding stock! We hope to help control over population and production of unwanted miniature pigs!

Makes me think this person is just greedy! (we hope to keep control of the market!) By other things on the site, they just want your deposit and money, they don't REALLY check to see if you will be a responsible owner, they also said soemthing about struggling to keep up with demand - so they're not limiting the breeding at all!
    AND those pigs are WAY WAY over priced $2000 you HAVE to be crazy!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I agree. They seem to be in for the money.

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    All I know about pigs is my neighbors had 8 of them (probably in too small of an area) and they were stinky...

I know they are supposed to smart and supposally clean, but not something for everyone, that's for sure!!

Those adults pigs don't look that much smaller then a Vietnamese pot belly pig, which you can get for a couple hundred $$. I think those "dandie" breeders are probably ripping people off...

Another thought...does a pig really belong in an apartment?? Wouldn't you think they be much happier rooting around the yard and wallowing in the mud??

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007
  6. feathersnmore

feathersnmore Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2007
    We have a female potbelly pig named Cloe, she is about 9-10 yrs old now she. She rules the yard with her longtime buddy Jezzabelle (pigmy goat) cloe was a rescue someone had her in a closed pen feeding her just bread so we loaded her up and took her home. I love pigs i think they are wonderful animals and very very smart!

So i guess my answer is... pigs are great!!!

7. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:I just thought they were cute...I'm sure they're not the only breeders of that breed of pig.

8. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Well those Dandies are really cute but WAY out of my price range! LOL I'd rather one of my chickens live inside. [​IMG] So how large do the pot belly pigs get? Am I correct that they are not that much smaller than a regular pig when full grown? So I would assume the pig could hang out with our three goats?

9. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
  10. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I've had Daisy our potbelly pig for 9 years now. She is so much fun just to watch. She loved our pygmy goats and when I sold them she mourned. I didn't realize that she liked them so much. I thought they were kept in the same pen so she tolerated them. WRONG! Now she hangs out in the pasture with our 2 horses and donkey. Poor Daisy doesn't like being alone at all. Very social animal. Sometimes we find her laying in the backyard sunning herself with the dogs. Now Daisy didn't get but we NEVER fed her dog food. She only gets sweet feed and a few table scraps. Dog food will make them get huge! They have a special potbelly pig feed and it costs 3x as much as sweet feed and is basically the same thing. Daisy is only about 60lbs. She is one of the smallest potbellies I've ever seen. We had a plumber out once who offered me $1000 for her. I would never sell Daisy. She is such a part of our family.

If you want to get a potbelly be prepared for another dog. They follow you around. Lay beside you. Beg for scraps. Play with balls. Take naps out in the sun. Daisy has been like another dog for us. She can get mean if she has to protect herself though. My neighbor keeps bringing home rottweiler mix male dogs. As soon as the get big enough they come over and try to eat Daisy. She has never shown aggression to anything buy them. She can take down a dog is seconds. Remember-she has never hurt my dogs. Always ate outta the same bowl and slept with mine. She even shares her kiddy pool with them. But she won't let a mean dog hurt her. She will fight back. She's never killed a dog. She just immobilizes them. My neighbor screamed at me that my pig was gonna kill his dog. He called the sheriff out and the sheriff got a kick outta my pig holding down his dog. He informed my neighbor that if his dog came on my property then my 'watch pig' had every right to attack his dog! He also told him if he was smart he would keep his dogs away from my pig. That she looked like she could hold her own even though his dogs outweighed my pig. All of the sudden my neighbor didn't know english again. Funny how that works. He hears something he doesn't like and his understanding of english just leaves his little brain!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by