ok so who is CAP (Candling Adictive Person)????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Skitz, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Im a CAP every time I turn the eggs I have to candle to see everything is working right [​IMG] even though I know its alive I stay starring at it like 5 mins lol

2. jonty

jonty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Voßfeld Germany
    Sorry, but that is the way to kill them. The more you handel the less chance you have of a hatch. I candel once on the 18th day like all big chick producers.

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:well of course I know that! I only hand turn the eggs on the 7th day and on the 14th day and that's the days I candle lol! I have a egg turner so I turn off the egg turner on day 7 and on day 14 and then the next day I turn it back on! [​IMG] I know what and what doesn't kill a chick [​IMG]

4. jonty

jonty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Voßfeld Germany
    Quote:well of course I know that! I only hand turn the eggs on the 7th day and on the 14th day and that's the days I candle lol! I have a egg turner so I turn off the egg turner on day 7 and on day 14 and then the next day I turn it back on! [​IMG] I know what and what doesn't kill a chick [​IMG]

May be if you had said that in your first post I wouldn't have posted what I did but you gave the impression you candeled everyday. So no need to be funny about it, just puts egg on your face. A lot of people here like help because they don't know but you seem to know it all.

5. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I was also thinking that the eggs were being candled 3 times a day. Skittles you may want to elaborate a little more on your post.

In the meantime...

Let's [​IMG] and make up.

6. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    sorry for making y'all confuse [​IMG]

7. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I love candling!! i am on day 18 and everything is going really good! i do look at the eggs until i see movement then i put them back in! i think it is so neat to see the litle babies in there swimming around!

8. jonty

jonty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Voßfeld Germany
    Quote:No problem my friend.

9. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hmm, advice welcome on this as I am on my first hatch (day 15).
    I first candled on day 7. Then again on day 9 and a few more times between then and now (already opening to add water). Have not candled today.

One reason I have candled is it is too cool to see them developing
    Another is I think my darker eggs are not developing and trying see if anything happens in them OR to check to prevent exploding eggs.

The 12 lighter ones are all alive and doing great.
    The 12 darker ones (welsummer and marans) 10 look possibly clear (uniform light) and 2 look dark but have uneven edges to the air bubble. Have since first candling. The maran eggs are so dark it is really hard to see. Never saw veining for sure in any of those. Anyway, that's why I've been candling, trying to see, etc. (yes, I did go buy a strong light).

I was told that if they are not jossled around and do not get cold (less than 10-15 minutes of open incubator) that candling was ok; that momma hen leaves the nest for brief periods of time up to day 18. I always wash my hands first, am very gentle, keep same position for egg as in incubator, etc.

So, apparently the advice differs on this? some say it is ok to candle once a day in this period, (til day 18) some say don't touch at all?

Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  10. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:well its good because you can see what is happening like if you don't candle they might explode but if you move them alot or shake them the embryo can die because they are very fragile at that age (less than 15 days) which means that they are still developing. Now if you candle on day 18 it wouldn't be that bad because the embryo is mostly a chick by that age and it is almost completely developed. So thats what happens if you listen to the people that say to candle and to the people that say NOT to candle. Well I had some problems with the dark eggs too but I just didn't move a muscle or even blink and I saw some veining so thats what I did. I really don't know what breed of hen laid that egg but it was almost like a Marans.

J-Skittles [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by