Ok so WHOLE CORN. I need info

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HeatherLynn, Jan 6, 2011.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I just bought 600lbs of whole corn. It looks good. I was told my my elderly enabler ( we have bought eggs from her since I was 6. Now at 35 I am giving her eggs since she can no longer walk) that whole corn is fine. She gives some every night to get her chickens in the coop and it keeps them warm at night. Ok I am with her on the warm but I have never done whole. Of course on my bantams they will be given cracked and they are kept separate from my standards . Will this be ok to give. Mine get layer feed but the corn is a favorite of my very greedy roo's and it cuts down on my layer feed costs. We also have geese and will soon have ducks. If this works out I may buy bulk from a farmer again. Any input on this? I have read several articles that showed no issue with this and also stated that it saved the germ. Not sure if thats important or not honestly.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The bantams can have the whole corn also. My silkies eat whole corn just fine. I also had old English game bantams, alot smaller than silkies & they got whole corn also. Never any problems.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    All I can tell you is that I feed a gamebird feed as the chickens scratch. It has whole kernels of corn in it. As soon as I toss it out on the ground, all the birds grab for the corn first; including my silkies. I've noticed with this scratch that they eat it in a certain order - the corn first, then the BOSS, then the kernels of wheat (I think its wheat) and then the smaller seeds.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Make sure you are ok with grit, is all I have to say. Found grit or supplied grit. Then they will be sure to be able to grind it down.

Congratulations on your score!!!!! [​IMG]

5. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Awesome. I think the hubby wants to go back. The guy had another 1000 lbs but I only have so many food grade barrels ready to accept grain right now so.....but I am thrilled I can use this without having to get it milled.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I feed about five thousand pounds of whole corn a year. It's a perfectly good feed so long as it's properly balanced in their diet. If you can get it at a good price then I certainly would.

Do examine it carefully though before buying it for any signs of mold or other contamination. Poultry are very sensitive to mycotoxins (fungal toxins). Ask if it's been tested. If not then examine it carefully.

7. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

In laying hens i would use a Maximum of .03 pounds per hen per day. Using any more than this will dilute the nutrients consumed from the formulated feed too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by