Ok, someone help please...Roos?? 4 wks...Oh Gosh!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by definetlydeb, Apr 19, 2011.

1. definetlydeb

definetlydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Tioga/Potter County
    Ok, my peeps are 4 weeks old, seems to me some of them are looking pretty much like Roos, I bought them at TSC, 5 were from pullet bin, 1 from straight run bin. I know they can get mixed up...here is my question...i was really hoping to get at least 5 hens, and that doesn't seem to be the case, I am pretty sure I have a couple of roos....so here is where i need the advice...if i have say 3 roos, which i intend to see if i can sell them....will i ever be able to get more hens and add to my flock..and if so when is the best to do it, I am headstrong about wanting at least 5 hens, for the eggs....but I know that it is hard to introduce new hens to an already established flock, I cannot get me another coop, so that is out of question...what do I do....I have limited space and resources...I am hoping that what i see, is not true, but the fact of the matter is they sure look like roos...i love all my birds, but honestly only wanted one roo to make my 5 ladies happy...I am not going to be happy with just three hens....so what do i do....how do I do it and when....Please give me some advice here, my dear boyfriend doesn't get the chicken math thing, so with the space i have I can only house 6...ugghhh, i need your help and knowledge my BYC friends!!!!
    First two pics, chick out of straight run bin....hoping this was a Roo.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Below are pics of my late bloomer, very slow in feathering... a little blurry, but hope someone can tell me...roo???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is the last one I am doubting is a hen...pullet bin at TSC, but look at that comb??? Roo???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope these are enough to get some answers....they wouldn't hold still...they are so not the photo shoot type!!!

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:The SLW are pullet pics, that breed just looks rooish early on. The two reds are looking rooish to me, though. Certainly the last! Oy!

3. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    The last one looks like a roo to me. Looks like it has wattles too.

4. definetlydeb

definetlydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Tioga/Potter County
    So...SLW's...have a different kind of comb...like hers is totally flat, but wide....has very small red around the edges...hmmmm, very interesting...I didn't realize there were so many kinds of combs, what will it look like when she is older???

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:There are tons of different combs! This is a rose comb, and it's great for colder climates. The red is very worrying until you know it's normal for that breed. This is how she'll look.

[​IMG]

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I would say definatly the last bird is a roo. My RIR is feathering the same as your second to last bird photo. I don't think it's a roo. My RIR even has wattles that are pink and when I asked on here, they still say pullet. [​IMG]. The first one looks like a pullet.

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Yes Wyandottes have a rose comb as opposed to a straight comb which is what your other two chicks that you posted have. Here is a picture of my SLW hen. I don't know how well you can see her comb. You can google rose comb and get better pictures.
    [​IMG]
    ETA - Looks like ChooksChick and I had the same idea. I like her hen better tho! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by