OK....Tel Me the Truth!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by luckyclucky12, Sep 22, 2012.

1. luckyclucky12

luckyclucky12 New Egg

Sep 19, 2012
    I am considering backyard chickens. My city allows for 6 hens. I have a large area behind the fence next to our pool that I am considering as the chicken yard. I will be building the Witchita style hoop and thinking of using the deep litter method.

Here is the biggest objection my husband will have and I need to know the truth. How smelly are chickens? I would probably let them free range about at least one hour a day. I live in a Los Angeles suburb where the winter temps can dip down into the 30's at night, but mostly are in the 40's. Daytime winter temps are around 55 to 75. We have hot dry summers and will have several weeks of 90+ temps. Not a huge amount a rain all year but do get some big storms that dump.

If I were sitting out by the pool and the chicken coop was behind a wooden fence about 15 feet away, am I going to be smelling chicken poop? What about flies? I can't stand flies!

Ann

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    The truth- You will have SOME flies, but my chickens are good at catching and eating them. :D I use the deep litter method, and you can't smell it unless you don't scoop off the poop board, (or underneath the roost) once every 4-6 weeks. It isn't that hard, just one scoop of shavings usuallly. And i have 12, so you could probably go 2 months, even though I should probably clean more often then i do. [​IMG] I deep clean my coop every 4-6 months, and it works fine. I take a scoop or two of dirty shavings out once a month and add new shavings, or sprinkle new on top, which smells good. So, the point is- chickens aren't really smelly!

3. c2chicks

c2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have only 3 chickens (in suburbia), their coop is under my bedroom window...I use sand and sweet pdz. NO smell !!

4. AlabamaSweetpea

AlabamaSweetpea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Mobile, Alabama
    my chickens are camping out on my backporch til I can get their coop done and unless they spill their water, there is no smell .. not a bad smell anyway

5. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    We're probably not far from you... Our daughter brought home the 2nd grade life science project in June, chicks! We went with deep litter and smell has not been a problem, and we love having them and can't wait for the eggs. I think here in So. Cal. we need more ventilation and the ability to close up on those odd day when it gets really cold. Chicken math is real, so defiantly build for your max zoning and where you are go heavy on outside space, that's where they'll be. Ours have been living under a juniper bush during the heat of the day and going back to the hen house at night. So make sure your yard has shade. We've finally gotten the run built but I don't have the heart to keep them in it all day. So far we're good but I'm glad to have the run so if we won't be home till late they don't have to stay in the hen house.

6. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong then but my chickens smell. I also have the Witchita style coop. I have 6 chickens and live in Florida. Some hot days my backyard smells like chicken poop. I've tried sweet PDZ. It made me sick. Been afraid to try it again. Use DE. doesn't help much with the smell or the flies. It's not a strong smell but your know we have chickens. Maybe its just me but I'd be a little worried having a coop close to the pool.

Don't get me wrong owning chickens has been one of the best things my family has done. We get so much enjoyment from them. Good luck.

7. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    I had 14 hens and used the deep litter method and everyone was amazed at the lack of smell. They would comment--that they thought it would stink and that the hens would be dirty... It smelled like pine shavings 90% of the time.. I think the key is too keep the litter dry.. IF it gets wet and stays wet it will smell.

8. Rhoise

Rhoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
    Don't do it! It's too close to the pool, too many birds, and too small a coop!!! very simple "TRUTH" may not be what you want to hear!

9. CovertChickOps

CovertChickOps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Undisclosed, Virginia
    Concur with the Queen. We use the deep litter method and it is remarkably odor free if kept dry. So much so that I made curtains out of clear tarps to keep rain from blowing and splashing into the run during storms. I think sand would be the same way and if you have good drainage under your coop base, you may not even need to worry about it getting wet.

10. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I dont think chickens smell. I have 12 chickens and if anything there may be a very mild smell but it doesnt stink and as long as you keep things clean and dry and add new pine shaving to the coop every once and a while you shouldnt smell a thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by