Ok, Tell me about your Boys!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lanissa86, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Well, let me tell you what I am looking for first... I am still new to chickens, having gotten my first chicks around Easter. A lot of you know the story of my Boy booger. Well I soon learned how leghorn are (nonstop crowing, Spastic, moody). My BIG question is I would still like a Rooster within the city, which breed have you found crows the least? My neighbors didn't mind, it was just the crowing ALL DAY AND NIGHT that got to them, they say it wouldn't be so bad if he crowed only a few times a day or whatever. So Please tell me ALL about your boys, Breed, Age, how much do they crow? If you had to scale their crow from 1-10 10 being loudest, exactly how loud is your Rooster? Anything will Help, Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My light brahma roo, Zeus, has been crowing since he was like 9 or ten weeks old. He doesn't crow non-stop, but he does crow throughout the day. I can hear it inside the house, but don't find it annoying. I call him my watch roo, since he will start crowing whenever he hears someone drive up. He's also the roo I had some problems with before, totally my fault for spoiling him. He became very jealous of me handling the other chickens and was turning into a bully. I gave him a few attitude adjustments and he's fine now. It was just a matter of reminding him that I'm the top roo around here.
    On the other hand, my dark brahma roo Thor is the complete opposite of Zeus. He's quiet all the time, he hasn't crowed yet even though they'll be 4 months old on Wednesday. He doesn't like to be held; in fact I don't think I've held him once since he was like 2 weeks old. Still, he's very docile, gentle with the ladies, and follows me around. He's always defers to Zeus. Actually I am kinda hoping that when he gets a little bigger he will challenge Zeus for the top spot (and win!). [​IMG]

3. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Well, sure hope your dark brahma wins then! Thanks for sharing your story, I appreciate it!

4. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I am Kinda liking the way White Faced Black Spanish look. Can someone tell me a little about those? Also I LOVE Delawares, how about those?

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I have a RIR and his crowing patterns are largely unpredictable. He crowed a few times this morning and I haven't heard anything else all day. This can go on for many days at a time. Then, some days, he crows throughout the day and we want to throw a shoe at him! He is not abnormally loud, its just we notice it more when he crows a lot because he is usually very quiet! [​IMG]

6. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Is he aggressive? I hear most RIR Roos are little terrors! LOL

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I have a EE roo who is almost 20 weeks and still no crowing from him.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:He's just right! He lets the cat take a few dashes towards the girls and then he will chase him off. If the cat runs away, he stops chasing. He danced around at me when I was making one of his harem squawk, but I put a damper on that and he doesn't do it anymore. I just took a light weight stick and laced his behind a couple of times before he could get out of the coop! [​IMG] One other time, I was taking one of the hens off the roost and he pecked me. I cuffed his head lightly and, the next time I reached for a hen, he turned his head to the opposite side of his body and tucked it under his wing! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think he's just right. Smart enough to learn, spicey enough to keep the girls safe, and gentle enough to not spur my cat. He's a real gentleman with the girls, just sidles up, politely steps on, quietly does the do and steps off. He doesn't even have to chase them! When he does his courting dance, they just squat and let him ride! [​IMG]

I like my RIR! We have a good relationship....mutual respect. [​IMG]

9. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    My Silkie "mystery" (still not 100% positive about her.. him? ..I dunno!) ...is very quiet ..about a 3.5 ..and only crows a few times in the early morning, and maybe once or twice late morning/early afternoon ..if someone else provokes her. (appx. 16 weeks)

My Sizzle roo crows early morning and maybe once or twice, midday ...and his crow is about a 6. He is usually the one to provoke the Silkie [​IMG] (appx. 16 weeks ..and has been making crow attempts since 3 weeks!!)

My bantam Faverolle is crowing as I type ...he crows in the early morning and doesn't usually stop until dusk ..with small intervals of silence in between. It's about an 8 in loudness ..and most of his noise is actually his way of calling me or getting my attention. As soon as, I pick him up or get him a treat ...he's quiet again. Oh.. and he crows when I drive up or someone comes to the door ..he's a dog, not a roo! [​IMG] (will be 6 months on the 5th of August)

10. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

My bantam barred rock and self blue d'Anver crow throughout the day, but not too much. My friend had a silver seabright that literally crowed nonstop, and I had a dumb silkie rooster that would crow at night all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by