OK tell me my pullet is a Roo,,,,

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RWise, Dec 26, 2012.

1. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    Picked up a couple of "accidents" from a local, She told me they were both pullets, and they are Ameraucana crosses. Her Roo is a blue, and the mother of the chick in question here is "mostly Ameraucana". When I picked them up they were solid black, but look how this pullet,,, Roo has coloured up, and more coming in.
    [​IMG]

He spotted me with the camera right away, and did not like it one bit,,,

[​IMG]

The orange on his saddle is more distinct and more colour coming in

[​IMG]

But he is a boy, right? This is his nest mate (I got both survivors there were 3), he has started flirting with the girls a bit!

2. camalianus

camalianus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    That's for sure a boy.

3. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I wonder what colour he will end up? I have been fairly sure he is he since the BO roo, well lets say he was not nice,,,, and is now gone (for other reasons)

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed, Easter Egger rooster. You're right to keep an eye on his temperament, they can change to mean so fast and have to end up in the pot.

5. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I love the way he is colouring up. I watched him yesterday with his pullets (5 of them (1 EE and 4 black ausies) at a new nest box, he was showing it to the girls, going inside and calling them in. I think this to be a good sign this early. If his temperament is good he may have a future. EE's are great with me, I love coloured eggs and so do my Grands! When i was a young man, we were the first to have EE's, thats been a few day ago,,,,,

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    His color is pretty much what you're going to get. The gold leakage on the wings usually increases as they age, when he's several years his wind may be mostly gold. The color on the hackles can inrease, also.

7. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    The colors are still coming in, the top of his head is almost cream color now and the yellow has increased down the hackle feathers, back and wings as well. His beard really stands out being black.
    He crowed for the first time this morning! Loud and proud!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by