OK tell me what you think...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mommto3kiddos, Oct 5, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I moved mama hen into her new "nursery".. She is now in an 8'x8' Dog Run. I have her in a tubberware tube with ventilation holes at the top & open front Then I have the dog crate top on top giving it a "covered porch" effect...lol.. Straw in her nest & shavings on the floor! Im getting a tarp to cover the whole run as most of the day only half is shaded..

I puting chicken wire around the bottom of the dog run before the chicks hatch! Ok tell me what you think and let me know what Ive done wrong [​IMG]-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I've never had a broody hen hatch eggs, but your set-up looks good to me. All comfy and cozy!

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Looks like a cozy nest. But unless you have no predators in the area (i.e. stray dogs, cats, raccoons, etc.) I would use 1/2" hardware cloth around the bottom of the entire run. I know raccoons can reach through chicken wire and grab the chicks or hen.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:No such thing. I've lived in my house for 7 years and never once did I see a coon, either at night or dead on the road until they killed my broody hen and her baby turkeys, then it got a duccle that decided to hide with eggs, 6 marans and 3 more duccles all from a secure coop so I thought. They are out their, everywhere and not very nice.
    Michele

6. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Quote:Well, that was kinda my point! [​IMG]

7. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:No such thing. I've lived in my house for 7 years and never once did I see a coon, either at night or dead on the road until they killed my broody hen and her baby turkeys, then it got a duccle that decided to hide with eggs, 6 marans and 3 more duccles all from a secure coop so I thought. They are out their, everywhere and not very nice.
    Michele

I also live in the city and never had issues with rats or possums until I started with chickens

I guess the feed or poop smell will sooner or later atract some predators.

Even if you dont get any

I think the hole size of the runer wire is big enough to let the little chick pass trough

Baby chicks are curios and will try to explore

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by