Ok the fastest easiest cheapest way to get rid of lice

J99

Songster
Jul 25, 2019
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
I took in a stray chicken , I isolated her checking for diseases but my stupid self didn’t even think about lice and now I think she has them after I’ve put her with my flock
Kill me now

Permethrin spray. Get the concentrate, mix according to directions, and spray on your birds (vent, under wings, back of neck/between shoulder blades). The concentrate will last you forever.
iu

The permethrin spray is great, way better than powders etc.

I would also do a coop clean, and spray the coop.

Repeat in about 10 days.... and you should all be done, not so bad actually.

I have found it is easiest to spray them at night while they are all perched and sleeping. If you are quiet and use a dim head lamp you can usually manage to get the entire flock before they wake up and start running about.

I checked her and I couldn’t find one bug so maybe it’s not that
Don't treat unless you know they have them.
My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Ok I checked her but it wasn’t at night she walks right up to me so catching her isn’t a problem , she’s bare underneath and under wings almost so I had a clear view of most of her and didn’t see not one her waddles are not dull either but she’s a Tyson chicken so I’m thinking possibly she’s in this condition because she lays on her belly all the time and doesn’t roost I’m going to try to teach her to roost but she weighs a million pounds with giant dinosaur feet so she may not be able to get up there or to roost at all I’m not sure yet 2CA0CAC2-51BD-4918-9B3F-1F846C89BECC.jpeg 2F8FB312-0E91-4C12-B8F9-3101F4437D84.jpeg 1B7D1CDE-717D-4EFD-8F20-A6030864CAA4.jpeg 69332198-44A7-4E52-94B0-59547D33191B.jpeg

If your birds do have parasites, one of the best ways and time to check them over is at night after they roost. Some pest only come out at night to feed on the birds. I use a head lamp so I have my hands free and check the birds after they go to roost. Check under the wings too. It would be something you would want to treat ASAP and if you do find something, my recommendation would be treating with permethrin. There are other products that are effective too but very expensive. I have tried a lot of different things. I use permethrin. It works. If you have a TSC they carry the permethrin powder, premixed spray bottles and the concentrate. No egg withdrawal period. I also put some of the dust in the nest boxes. It does take a few weekly thoroughly spraying everywhere, on and under the roosts, every crack and crevice in the coop to completely eradicate them. Permethrin does not kill the pests eggs so repeated spraying or dusting is necessary. If you do bathe the birds, every over-the-counter (OTC) treatment for head lice contains either pyrethrins (Rid or Triple X) or permethrin (Nix). Both are effective treatment. Both only kill live pests, not the eggs.

Ok I checked her but it wasn’t at night she walks right up to me so catching her isn’t a problem , she’s bare underneath and under wings almost so I had a clear view of most of her and didn’t see not one her waddles are not dull either but she’s a Tyson chicken so I’m thinking possibly she’s in this condition because she lays on her belly all the time and doesn’t roost I’m going to try to teach her to roost but she weighs a million pounds with giant dinosaur feet so she may not be able to get up there or to roost at all I’m not sure yetView attachment 1960057View attachment 1960058View attachment 1960059View attachment 1960060
Can you make her a roost that is low that she may be able to get on. In one coop I have roosts and I put a ramp up and the birds use the ramp to get on the roost.

Back
Top Bottom