ok these stupid chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninabl, Jun 12, 2011.

1. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    this is my second time having chickens. i have up the first flock when i moved here from georgia. i was searching for a fes RIR chicks to start my new flock and my friends dad had a few birds he needed to get rid of. my buddy wend and got the 5 he was giving up and i ended up with a BR and white leg horn. they are just over a year old. i have a nice little tractor for them to sleep in (see my avitar) with nesting boxes and a perch for them to roost on. when i got them i kept them locked up about a week so they know where home is. the problem is when i let them out durring the day they free range then when it starts getting dark they want to roost ontop of the tractor. so i have to go out every night in the dark and put them in the tractor. where i live at if i left them ontop for a night they wouldnt be here in the morning. im thinking about trying to trade of the leghorn and getting a few more barred rocks. but dont know if that would change things up enough to get them sleeping inside or if i will be catching them all everynight. what to do? also i have 2 nesting boxes in the tracton and they pull all the straw out of the boxes and make a nest on the ground. if i move the tractor durring the day the BR will lay eggs under the porch untill i keep them locked up a few days again. AHHHH!

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Have you tried throwing treats into the tractor just before dusk? That is how I trained mine to go to bed. It sounds like they just need more time to adjust. [​IMG]

3. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    thats a good idea i will try it. i think the problem is they were raised in a barn and never let outside. when my frind got the other 3 to his house and let them lose his leghorn flew right up in a tree.. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by