Ok, they're old enough to tell. What the heck are they? :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by featherz, Apr 21, 2012.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Hatched out a bunch of 'blue-egg assortment' eggs. Very nice blue eggs - some were marked as EE, some as araucana, some as 'americauna'. I did get three tailless araucanas, one with tufts, out of this batch.

I am reasonably sure these are all female, as they are 15 weeks old and are showing no rooster signs, but what would you call them? EE? Tailed araucana? SuperMutt? One is obviously an EE, but with a crest - not sure how that got in there. :)

The ones not posted are black and bearded so I am guessing EE for now. We'll see what color eggs they lay. :)

The two in question have no beards, so I am thinking tailed araucana? Or just beardless EE?

[​IMG][​IMG]

And just for good measure - pretty sure this one is an EE and a girl - but why the crest? Mixed with polish or just...?

[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    You have all girls!!!!!

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Yah, was pretty sure about that at 15 weeks! [​IMG] (if one's a boy it's gonna be a stealth roo). But what kinda girls are they? (except for the last one, obviously a weird looking EE). Hopefully in a month or two I will have eggs and we'll see what I get. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    EEs pretty ones!

5. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Featherz that last pic is too funny she looks like a cross between bigfoot and chicken [​IMG]

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they are all pullets and all ee's...the 2nd ee is pretty!!!! i want her

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I know, she's pretty funky. And she's head chicken so far. I'll have to think of a good name for her. I am wondering who snuck into the pen to give her that hairdo? LOL.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I think the bottom one with the crest could be a roo. (looks like a roo to me!)

Time will tell.

Pretty EEs.

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Hope not! I'm pretty positive on that one tho, those are girly EE colors.. But we will see - they are almost POL so I am hoping for color again in the egg basket. :)

10. cointoss

cointoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Gaylordsville, CT
    My full Aracaunas had very fluffy head, so maybe the crest is just that she kept the top fluff, genetically, but not the ear tufts. Plus aracaunas can be pretty nervous compared to other breeds, at least in my experience, so she might just have her head feathers up when she sees you. Mine often does, even though she was hand reared.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by