ok this is kinda new for me .. just give me a chance

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aznredneck901, Nov 24, 2008.

1. aznredneck901

aznredneck901 New Egg

Nov 24, 2008
    i really dont know what kind of rooster i have...ill post a picture of him .. i been feeding it scratch grain and i kinda slack off .. and been feeding it my left over and alot of other HUMAN food.. i know im doing something wrong.. right ? i have a chicken coop for it and all and im afraid to let the it loose because i have a pair before and the darn coons got them.. the weather in memphis is getting cold so i made them a small coop in the garage with a little heater in the garage ...

[​IMG]

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Looks like a "game" type rooster. It isn't a recognized breed, but might make a very nice pet for you.

Scratch grains are not a good source of feed, but are a great treat for your bird. I'd suggest that you get some type of mash or pellets that are specially formulated for chickens. Layer mash, or non-medicated grower mash would be just fine. You can keep on feeding table scraps also. Leftover meats and vegetables are great treats for chickens. Feed him well, and you'll have a great pet for many years. Good luck!

3. aznredneck901

aznredneck901 New Egg

Nov 24, 2008
    thanks man its a game rooster alright lol but yea thanks for the help i think its a shamo blood line but i dunno ??

4. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Quote:The sun sure shines bright in your garage....maybe you just have the door open??? You should probably read up on how to take care of birds , housing , and other basic aspects of raising birds before you get them . Not a slam....just giving you the 411 . There are many different posts on here to learn from ...I suggest you read them before entertaining the idea of getting more birds . As I would tell anyone else on this forum....YOU are responsible for these birds...they are like children.....leave them unprotected , and they will perish .[​IMG]

5. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    well coming here and asking some questions is a good start, at least you are on the right path.

a 50 pound bag of pellets isn't too much and should last a long time with just that one guy.

6. Patch of Heaven Farm

Patch of Heaven Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi aznredneck

Here is a site on feeding chickens. Hope it helps. Scratch should only be fed in small amounts. A grower/finisher feed is needed for the proper protien and such. Also he needs clean fresh water daily. Good luck with your roo! [​IMG]

http://msucares.com/pubs/infosheets/is1214.htm

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  7. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I think your rooster is an Asil. They have a higher protein requirement that most chickens. Providing human food is not a problem, especially for this guy. I would buy him some high protein game bird food.

8. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    He really doesn't need the heater, just shelter from the wind & rain/snow. Pick him up a couple of hens and he'd make you a right good find of a rooster!

He appears to be an oriental gamefowl mix. He could possibly have aseel, shamo, thai, malay - it's hard to tell unless you know where he came from.

Contrary to the high protien suggestion, they do just fine with food around 16% - 18% protien. If he's a large bird, too much protien and not enough exercise will cause leg problems. Try not to feed a lot of large whole grains (like whole corn) without providing him a source of grit (small stones).

You can find a great source of information on orientals Here .

9. aznredneck901

aznredneck901 New Egg

Nov 24, 2008
    Today 6:20 am

kentuckysilkies
    Chillin' With My Peeps
    E-mail PM Website

Re: ok this is kinda new for me .. just give me a chance

I think your rooster is an Asil. They have a higher protein requirement that most chickens. Providing human food is not a problem, especially for this guy. I would buy him some high protein game bird food.

* Report |

#8 Today 9:55 am

ChicknGurl
    Chicken Obsessed
    E-mail PM Website
    View My BYC Page

Re: ok this is kinda new for me .. just give me a chance

He really doesn't need the heater, just shelter from the wind & rain/snow. Pick him up a couple of hens and he'd make you a right good find of a rooster!

He appears to be an oriental gamefowl mix. He could possibly have aseel, shamo, thai, malay - it's hard to tell unless you know where he came from.

Contrary to the high protien suggestion, they do just fine with food around 16% - 18% protien. If he's a large bird, too much protien and not enough exercise will cause leg problems. Try not to feed a lot of large whole grains (like whole corn) without providing him a source of grit (small stones).

You can find a great source of information on orientals Here .

Thanks for the help .. i just bought some Game cock ration , whole kernel corn also some scratch grains , but i also give him some of my left over all the times .. so this game bird is healthy that i know of.. well ill post some new picture of him in a couple of days .. also ill take a picture of my chicken coop .. tell me ur opinion if i need to make something bigger for him..

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I think maybe it's Thai or Thai/cross... but I'm NO expert [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by