Ok this is random and need help ASAP Calling all skinners/hunters!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Attack Chicken, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok.. This may sound like a stupid question but how the heck do you remove a tailbone( Lets say a squirrel) out of the tail without cutting the skin? I need the tail bone out for the finish skin which will later be put on a form.
    In my pj's in the livingroom I'm been wrestling this tail for over an hour [​IMG] For the life of my I've only got about an inch or more done... About 6 more to go! Everything else was easy as pie but this tail is giving me trouble.

Any ideas before I go insane? [​IMG]

AC

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

On a squirrel you can leave to bone in. It is so tiny it will tan or cure with the rest of the hide.
    I never messed with anything but the first couple of inches nearest the butt.

[​IMG]

3. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    slice the tail vertically then remove tailbone. Tail might be flat,but it works.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I do cut the skin on the bottom, lot faster . If not,turn it inside out , with small razer knife , cut skin away as you peal the fur off , the very end will break off , so make sure to go slow there.

5. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Use a tool called a tail stripper, or two fairly good sized dowel rods, or two big nails. You are essentially holding the skin with an item, after you have skinned it down a little ways, and pulling the tailbone out. It's similar to taking off a glove. Try youtube for "using a tail stripper". They should have a couple vids.

6. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Quote:I agree with this also if you dont have to remove it. I've dipped the fleshy end in salt and hung them up to cure to send to Mepp's. They give you so much per tail that you can redeem for lures.

7. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Deerman: Thats what I've been doing for the past hour LOL
    I've trid grabbing the skin with one hand and with my other grabbing the already skinned tailbone and tried pulling them apart to no success.

Kinda funny picturing a girl wrestling around the livingroom with a squirrel [​IMG] Atleast the eating part has been in the freezer since Sunday.

AC

8. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:Ok How would you use the nails or dowel rods? Like place on on each side of the tailbone and clamp together?

Also this internet wont let me play Youtube sadly [​IMG] I've thought about the tail stripper but no one close sells it and with a storm coming in it will be while before it could get shipped here.

AC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by