Ok, this is weird....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cluck-a-biddy, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Cluck-a-biddy

Cluck-a-biddy Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2016
    Lower Sierras NorCal
    Ok, so I have 8 chickens. They're all around 7 mos old and laying pretty regularly. I have 2 each BRs, BSLs, GLWs and EEs. I pretty much can tell whose eggs are who's. The BSLs lay the larger darker brown ones, the BRs' are a med brown med-lg size egg, the Wyandottes' are generally the paler peachy-tan colored med eggs, and the EEs lay the greenish-blue eggs of course. Henrietta's are generally a minty greenish-blue, and Gertie's are more of a pale blue. Henrietta has been very consistent with her laying. She rarely goes a day without laying. Gertie on the other hand lays about every day and a half. I say that because she sometimes will lay in the evening before time to go in for the night. Some days it's in the early morning and sometimes she skips a day.

It's been pretty cold and rained off and on the last week or so. With the days being shorter this time of yr, I put up a bunch of LED warm-white Xmas lights inside the coop and also out in the run (mostly so I can see when I go out to close up the coop at night), and it seems to help them to lay fairly consistently. I average 6-7 eggs per day, occasionally getting 8 and very seldom less than 6. Sooo.. That being said... Sunday it was particularly wet and cold and by 5:30pm I only got 5 eggs, with both EEs having laid. When I went out later that night to close the girls in for the night, there were no other eggs. I always double check because, as I said, Gertie or even others have laid after 6pm on occasion. Yesterday (Monday morning) when I went out to feed them and open up the front part of the pen I also checked again to see if anyone had laid early. Once in awhile there will be one or two eggs laid before I come out around 8:00am. Nope. No eggs. Ok, so I have two nesting box areas we built for them, each has 6 boxes and one on either side of the coop. The girls never use the one that's down lower on the right side. My neighbor says it's too low to the ground. So we plan on raising it. The girls are always fighting over two of the other 6 boxes. The ones at each end. The alpha hen, my big girl Elvira (BSL) started them off using the one to the back. Esmeralda, the mean BR (she likes to bite me) prefers the one closest to the front door. Some of the girls will use her box as well, but most use Elvira's box. They almost never lay in the other 4 boxes in between.

Soooo anywaaaay... last night I go out after work around 5:45, to go out to give the girls their cukes and pick up eggs. There's a darker brown egg and a med brown egg in Esmeralda's box... a single very pale peachy-colored one in the next box which I assume was Josephine's because she was trying to push Henrietta and Esmeralda off of their spots before I left in the morning, and 5 eggs in the main box to the back. Cool! Eight eggs! Yay!! Wait a minute... there's only ONE "blue" egg. ***?? One? And there's 8 eggs? I know Henrietta laid the one blue egg, because she was on the nesting box when I left for work. So I'm assuming that Gertie could not have laid a pale peachy-colored egg when she's been laying lt blue ones... RIGHT?? They do not change colors? Right?? But there's 8 eggs! I know for a fact there was not an egg left over from Sunday nite, because I checked Sunday nite and Monday morning. Sooo.. what are the odds of one of the other girls laying TWO eggs in one day? I only got 5 eggs Sunday, so could one have laid an egg in the morning and then another one in the evening? BTW, the other 4 eggs were various colors of brown-to-tan. What do you guys think? I'm totally perplexed...

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Yes it's possible. Not likely, but possible. I witnessed one of my hens lay 3 eggs in a 24 hour period. 2 were rubber, but none the less, she passed 3 eggs in 24 hours. The lighter colored egg would have been a rush job, hurrying through the paint shop before the final coat.

3. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    Yes it's possible but doesn't happen often.

4. Cluck-a-biddy

Cluck-a-biddy Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2016
    Lower Sierras NorCal
    Thanks guys. I kinda figured it must happen once in awhile. My girls are just so funny. I love 'em to pieces! They eat better than we do! LOL I spoil them rotten. They're the happiest chickies around. I think that's why they are still laying so well with this cold weather. My son has chickens, some are older, but he has a few the same age as mine that haven't even laid yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by