OK, this time I think we are truly nuts.Chicken math gone mad

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pattgal, Apr 5, 2011.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    This is what happens when you take a rainy/snowy day and throw in some of that chicken math
    Saturday was like one of those rainy days except for it was snowing. what a drag. Anyway DH starts drawing out a breeding coop design.
    I like the idea of keeping a few of the more odd birds around. over here there are not many jersey giants or brown leghorns and chickens like that.
    After the coop design is done, we start looking at our 1 acre lot trying to figure out where we are gonna put it.
    We talked about putting it on the back of the lot but then we would have to shovel all the way to the coop. then the issue of the neighbors came up.
    my neighbors are awesome. but I don't know if they would like 4 more roosters to put up with. I left it at that.
    later on in the evening DH finds a lot of 85 acres for sale for pretty cheap. I thought he was kidding.
    Long story short. I'm exited. I'm looking up floor plans, ready to part with my wonderful house
    ALL BECAUSE OF A COUPLE OF CHICKENS!!!! [​IMG]
    please tell me we haven't completely lost our minds [​IMG]

2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Now, that is exactly what I would LOVE to do!!

3. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Oh...gotta love a man like that! Yay for you guys!

4. klen

klen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    PacNW
    those chickens better lay lots of eggs [​IMG]

5. happycountryhens

happycountryhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Central NY
    [​IMG] That would happen at our house!

Congratulations.

6. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    awh man. all these beautiful floor plans. it must be terribly expensive
    What's the rule of pricing to build usually
    is it 100$/sq ft?

7. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    WOW!! That's awesome. I actually have thought about purchasing property as we live in town on a dinky little lot. Have a favorite lot in the adjoining town and would love to buy it someday so I can have more chickens and start raising goats. Oh, and build the house I drew up plans for about 2 years ago. LOL!! Go get em'. You only live once. Do something that makes you happy. [​IMG]

8. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I'm sooo exited. we are going on a house hunting date on Saturday. to see if we can even afford any of this.
    Baby chicks in the house, more eggs due to hatch in the coop next week. Incubator for my birthday....
    I don't know how much of this will turn out but I feel spoiled

9. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Gotta love a man's mind when they think like this! [​IMG]

Good luck house/property hunting!!!

P.S. I'm jealous [​IMG]

10. gottadance

gottadance Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Wheaton, IL
    OMG - it must be in the air. I have a half-acre lot in an unincorporated area of th west Chicago burbs. I'd always had a fantasy of buying the property next door, which is at least a half-acre, renting out the house and making the two yards into a farmette. The lady there is very senior and has mentioned she was thinking about selling a couple of times, but she's never put the sign up. Well, I'm single and couldn't afford to purchase the property without another income. I've now been dating someone for a while and things are getting pretty serious. If they keep going as is, it looks like we may make a commitment this fall. He's a little concerned about my attachment to my house (he's renting after being divorced for several years) and is not sure he'll ever be able to feel like my place is his or ours. I do love my place and until we have a commitment I am proceeding with upgrading my house the way I've always wanted to - putting in reclaimed barnwood floors upstairs and now building the coop. I figure, until the relationship is 100 percent go, I'm not putting my life/house on hold. [​IMG] That's sort of freaking him out a bit because he still is up in the air about whether he'll be 100 percent happy moving into my place instead of buying our own - he sees it as me setting down more roots there and being more attached. (he's a little right, but I'd never admit it) [​IMG]

Now, if we do end up making a commitment I highly doubt we'll end up selling my house - it just isn't sensible - the housing market stinks right now, I'm on an adoption waiting list and should have a baby by then. But...that doesn't stop me from fantasizing. There are 29 acres for sale around the corner from me...probably out of my price range even with his income. However, I've been on craigs list in the farm and garden section and keep seeing all of these properties for sale - 6 acres here, 12 acres there.

Last night when we talked about it, I said that I am still open to considering moving if he doesn't feel comfortable or happy at my place, but that we'd have to move someplace farmy. He said yes, he understood. Anyway, I figure we'll be at my place for at least six months because we won't make a decision about a commitment until the fall and by then who wants to list a house for sale heading into winter. His lease will be up and he'd probably move into my place until we decide what to do. I'm the better off financially between us and if we sit down and list the pros and cons of moving, I think there are way more cons than pros...but I still have my fantasies about the lot next door - or if we have to move because he's not comfortable, at least getting what I want out of it - my few acres. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by