Ok to be in coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hottchick, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    My chicks were 3 weeks old on Sunday. (so they're 3 1/2 weeks now). I moved them into their coop today because they have outgrown their box and were constantly flying up and knocking over their water bottle soaking all of their wood shavings. They were all on top of each other too in the box. Is it too early for them to be outside overnight? They have ruined their box by dumping the water so I cannot use it any more. The low for tonight is 60. The high today was 90. Do I need to put a heat lamp in there for them?

They seem to be really happy in their coop.

2. moo900

moo900 New Egg

Jun 23, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Conventional wisdom says to start chicks out at 90 degrees, then reduce temperature by 5 degrees each week. 90-15=75. I would put a lamp in the coop.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

3 week old chicks could use some supplemental heat at night so it doesn't drop below 75 degrees or so.

Other than that, they should be well on their way to being mostly feathered out.

I also recommend nipple waterers, so you don't have to deal with water mess or messy water in the coop. (I even use 'em in the brooder.)

4. BeckyBird

BeckyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    I have some that are close to the same age too, and I'm ready to move them to the coop.

You can put the lamp in there, and they will use it if they are cold at night. Also, make sure there are no small openings in the coop. If you used 1" chicken wire, I have to warn you that snakes and weasels can fit through the wire and will kill young chicks. I learned that the hard way! I've had every predator under the sun kill my birds, so I've learned that you don't want to take any chances with safety.

Best of luck to you and the chicks. I bet they love all the room in the new coop!
    Becky

5. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    The coop is closed in pretty tight. The windows have hardware cloth on them. I don't have the outside run ready yet so they will be inside until it's completed. I'll put the heat lamp for them. If they don't need it, there's plenty of room to get away from it.

I think the poor babies are scared because as it was getting close to dark they were just peeping away. I think they were frightened in the large coop! I put a box in there for them if they want to cuddle up together. I'm sure tomorrow night they will be more comfortable in it and used to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by