1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ok to breed bantam w/ standard?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickenbodhi, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Chickenbodhi

Chickenbodhi Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Are there any reasons not to breed a Bantam to a standard size chicken. I read that the offspring of such a pairing turn out to be lethargic? Is that accurate? Any other problems for the breeding pair or offspring?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Lethargic is a myth. You will have characteristics of both types, but no telling which ones unless you are very clear on the entire genetics of both parents and quite familiar with dominant vs recessive genes. Perhaps they mean more broody, which is apt to be true since almost all bantam breeds are broody and when crossed with a regular production type layer, they will almost always retain the broody trait.

It is often the case that a bantam rooster can fertilize a standard size hen without problem. Lots of people do this for whatever reason. A large breed rooster over a bantam hen can work, but can also be problematic for the hen as she is at greater risk of injury - usually being squished or torn by spurs, but in extreme cases, she could have her neck pulled out too roughly causing neck sprains or even a broken neck.

3. minifarmerct

minifarmerct Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    I hatched a silky rooster to a white leghorn hen about 7 weeks ago and she looks just fine has the five toes of the silke
    that is about the only thing I see that shows silkie traits

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Yes, it is okay to breed LF to Bantams. [​IMG]

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy is a bantam hen and my LF Blue JG roo bred her and the babies turned out bantams.

~ Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by