OK to drink from muddy puddles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenCharmer, Dec 31, 2009.

1. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a sort of pit where I dump the chickens' veggie scraps, where water collects after a rain. What bothers me is that the chickens like to drink the muddy rotting vegetable water, and I don't think it's healthy for them. They also drink from puddles formed in the manure heap [​IMG] and in the mud, but they do have a clean source of drinking water. The chickens seem to have no troubles with the gross water, but is it okay for them to drink the stuff?

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Should be as long as you don't use fertilizer or insectacides. [​IMG]

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

All I can do is PROVIDE fresh water - they can drink out of puddles if they want
    All I can do is PROVIDE shelter - they can play in the rain if the want
    All I can do is PROVIDE pellets - they can eat bugs if they want

I mean, really, how are you gonna stop them?
    I provide you with exibit A: My chickens eating BOSS out of the yard after 8+ inches of rain fell. Try to find somewhere that WASN'T a puddle!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    If its not healthy for a chicken, they will know it.
    It is true that on occasion a chicken will inadvertantly consume something that will sicken it, or even kill it, but its rare.
    Honestly, the more sterile you keep them, the more prone they are to get ill.
    Same is true for humans, hence the reason I purposely consume lots of good bacteria.

5. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    I wouldn't drink from a muddy puddle, but what do I know? I don't have rocks in my belly, either!

6. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    Quote:i agree 100%
    if you dont let them they wont have an immune system

7. Frenchy chick

Frenchy chick Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    I agree, they would do that in their natural habitat...running wild and free. LOL [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:So true. I let my chickens be chickens.

9. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    my water bowl over flows into a nice mud/chicken crap pit, rather than drink the clean, fresh, warm water they drink the chicken crap mud slushy. but why not, its their choice, maybe they know something we don't.

10. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    They may be domesticated but their inner workings are still the same as they would have been pre-domestication, so how they behave and what they consume is what works for them:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by