1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Ok to eat these eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ambrosia79, Jul 27, 2013.

1. ambrosia79

ambrosia79 In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    I have 3 tetra tints and on Wednesday I noticed that when I let them out to free range, 2 of them were hanging out around a dog house that has hay in it. So I checked and sure enough there were indentations in the hay where they were nesting, but no eggs yet. When I opened the coop this morning, two of them jumped out fast and ran straight there. I immediately checked the box out and found 4 eggs. So sometime between Wed. evening and Fri. evening, the 3 of them laid 4 eggs. I know they belong to my TT's, because the rest of my flock lay brown eggs or white eggs, but these are a creamy color. We do not have a rooster. Temps in the daytime have been mid 70's and nights have been cool (last night low was 60 but wed. and thurs. were down in the 40's). Is it safe to eat these?

Also, is it odd to get 4 eggs in 2 days from 3 hens (they are 20-21 weeks old and as far as I knew they hadn't laid yet till now). So maybe they have been laying a while and I better check around the rest of the property LOL.

2. You should be fine eating those eggs. Do what you feel comfortable with though.

Sounds like the TT's have just begun to lay.

Wish ya the best.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging Staff Member Premium Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They will be fine at those temps. You can store unwashed eggs on the counter for a week or two, they don't have to be refrigerated. Refrigeration helps them keep longer though.

4. ambrosia79

ambrosia79 In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: