Ok to Eat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by HobbyChickener, Jul 19, 2008.

1. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I have meat birds that are ready for the freezer. Actually where ready about 2 weeks ago. We put some in the freezer then. The little kid in me came out and I wondered if I had a 7 week bird at 6-8 pounds what do I get at 12-14 weeks? Well to answer your question you get a basketball or a beach ball with feathers. I am guessing they will run about 12-13 lbs.

Now for the problem. I have one roo that is having trouble moving around now that he is so fat. He will get up but doesn't seem to quick to move unless I make him. Should I go ahead and cull him? Will he be ok to eat if I do? Going to do this today if it works out. let me know!! Thanks!!!

2. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Sounds to me like he is ready to be culled.

3. HobbyChickener

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    But still ok to eat?

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Shoulda done it 8 weeks ago, but nows as good a time as any.

5. HobbyChickener

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    there are several here that have wieghted longer. Why is going longer a problem?

6. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I thought that most people let them get so fat that they couldn't walk.. then culled them. I am offering Mango up to be eaten. He is 12 weeks old. Weighs 9 pounds I bet. He can walk though.. but it is scary watching him run. If he falls, he may break something.

Ok..it is funny to watch him run too... he waddles so big, I am afraid momentum is going to cause him to lose balance and start rolling!

7. HobbyChickener

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I would hate to think what it would look like if mine started running. They live in a tractor though so that chance has and never will come. It is funny enough watching the free range birds I have run when we are headed to the coop for bed/supper time. [​IMG]

8. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    it's funny how they look at you when they are running away from you.. gets me ROFL every time! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by