1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ok to feed dead chickens to pigs???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by monster1, Dec 10, 2008.

1. monster1

monster1 Chillin' With My Peeps

a roo killed one of my dela-horns. is it ok to feed it to my pigs? or is it like giving a dog chicken bones? thanks.

2. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Well.. to me it seem if you feed the pig the chicken. Then the pig might start killing the taste feather things. But i dont really know anything about pigs exept the eat alot of things.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I doubt it would hurt them, since they'll kill them and eat them theirselves if they catch them. Why don't you clean it and eat it yourself?

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I don't think I could do that, I would have to have a funeral for my chickens or roosters.....
    the pets of course. I don't know If I could even eat one of our layer hens.
    but thats just me.

5. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    I have personally never FED my pigs dead animals or meat but they have killed and ate my birds before. If it was up to me they'd have never eaten meat, but I guess they decided what they were eating instead of me. On the other hand, my sister does throw all of her dead chickens to her pigs and the pigs love them. [​IMG]

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Pigs can get some of the diseases chickens get, like coccidiosis and mycoplasmas......

7. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    my neighbors feed dead chickens and what ever else dies to their pigs.

8. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd suggest like with most meats, cooked chicken would be fine, leaving the feathers off. Just make sure you know for certain that it was alive and well prior to cooking it. You don't want to take chances of illness.

9. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    You should never feed pigs any type of uncooked meat.

10. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

pips&peeps :

Pigs can get some of the diseases chickens get, like coccidiosis and mycoplasmas......

Until recently I learned that Scours is Coccidiosis. Calves, Pigs and who knows what gets that ugly lil protazoa! And when you say Mycoplasmas- don't even mess around!!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by