Ok to feed dry dog food for treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by birdy_num_nums, Jun 20, 2009.

1. birdy_num_nums

birdy_num_nums In the Brooder

May 28, 2008
    I have a cup or two of dry dog food I am considering giving my chooks. Is this ok to do? Just didn't want to waste it in the trash if it can go to the girls.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Sometimes i feed mine our extra dog food as a treat..i soak it first to soften it up though.

3. birdy_num_nums

birdy_num_nums In the Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Quote:Great idea! Thank you! I think I'll soak it in some milk that is just about time to throw out. Thanks again!

4. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    I had not thought of dog food, but my main focus on treats for my chickens is along the lines (GENERALLY - I do deviate from time to time) is healthy left overs.

Yesterday I took a watermelon rind to the coop. It was the end of the melon with a bit of "meat" on it. They looked at me like "WOMAN! Have you lost your mind???" (They are just over one month old. I decided to leave it over night.

This morning, ALL that was left was a thin layer of watermelon skin. [​IMG] I took them the other end this afternoon, and had to get out of their way FAST! Normally it would have been cut up and thrown in the compost pile; now it will go THROUGH the chicken and THEN in the compost pile!! [​IMG]

With that said, I will admit to giving them hard boiled eggs from time to time - a real party starter. (This particular treat is a bit macabre when you think about it, but it is healthy and the love it, so what the heck??) They also love shredded cheese. However, I am going to work more and more toward sharing with them the left overs instead of feeding something else I am already paying for! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chickens are great creatures... I had NO idea until a month ago!

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    My chickens love both dog and cat food. My dog food is 24% and makse them lay a LOT of eggs, but costs too much to let them eat a lot of it

It's gotten to the point that I cant feed the cats outside until after dark because the chickens will run them off

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: