Ok to feed flock raiser to chicks and hens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by la dee da, Apr 12, 2012.

1. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Hello everyone,
    We have eleven 2 week old chicks (boy are they growing fast!), four laying hens and one rooster. When the chicks are old enough to go into the coop would it be ok to feed all the chickens flock raiser until the chicks begin laying? Oyster shell will be available free choice, of course.

I've tried looking for the answer, but had no clue what to type into the search feature!

2. cooped up

cooped up Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Portland, Or
    Hey there,

I've read several posts about keeping them on the chick starter 'til an egg is layed then switching to layer feed. I went to the store the other day to pick up feed and the flock raiser gave me the impression that if the chickens were free ranging it should be used, so I keeping with the chick starter and putting out oyster shell of course.

3. lynnemabry

lynnemabry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    Flock raiser should be fine. I use it after my chicks finish the medicated bag so that I only need to buy one type of feed. It even has a higher protein content as I remember. This is also the feed to use if you have chicks hatched by your broody as it is not medicated and OK for the rest of the flock.

4. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Awesome, thanks!

5. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I used a bad of medicated but once it was gone I switched to flock raiser since I have 8 ducklings sharing a coop with the chicks. I plan to keep everyone on flock raiser until the girls start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by